tach not working properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tach not working properly

81 gs850 sat about 4 to 6 years i believe the grease in the tach got hard from sitting its not registering properly. i had a honda with the same problem i ran it hard a few times and it fixed its self . still have a little bit more work to do on it before riding was wondering if anbody has had this problem and what there fix was before i run it thanks

I see that your 850 is an "L" model from your signature. I'm guessing that your gauges are the individual round ones, instead of the single unit.

My tach was sluggish. I ended up carefully cutting off the back of the case to get inside mine. There's a nice thread about this procedure....search "getting inside your gauges"....or something close to that.

The spring loaded needle assembly rotates within a half drum thingamabob...there was a substance in there that I can only describe as grape jelly. I guess it could've been some kind of lubricant from the factory, but the tach hadn't been utilized in so long, that all this....stuff had settled into the bottom of the half drum causing the tach to get hung up. I gave it a good cleaning, super glued the case back together, reassembled with a new cable and it works like a champ.

I'll look for that thread too.

Here you go. Not sure if the pics will work.

Last edited by Larry D; 01-09-2009, 12:05 AM.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

thanks i will look also yes they are the round ones. hopefully it will fix itself when i take it down the street and i wont have to take it apart . i havnt ridden it yet just got the carbs finished i need to replace the brake fluid and work the front calipers in and out with a c clamp sticking just a tad can smack the caliper with my fist and it retracts . then will have only 1 thing to fix on it wich is the blinkers the guy who i bought it from started restoring it put all new switches and a new stater but never finished it due to back injury

Comment

Hi,

Here's the link to the article in the Garage section:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

looks like it does a great job will try it thanks

Comment

Working...
          X