GS1100 Crank Index rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 Crank Index rod

I picked up a spare crank and was planning on having my machine shop make me a crank indexing rod to give it a quick check. I know the small end on the rods are 18mm. Is this the diameter I should have the rod turned down to or does it need to be slightly smaller diameter?

I know APE and others sell the rods for about $80 but it wouldn't cost me anything to make my own.

The seller says this crank was done by Stan Gardner and I hope that's true but just wanted to do a quick check.

how do the welds look? like artwork or just gobbed on? are all the pieces polished? if yes for both then there is a very good chance it's a GRC crank. pull up my post yosh part duex i have some GRC crank pics there.
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Measure one of your wrist pins with a micrometer & have the rod made the same diameter. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
        how do the welds look? like artwork or just gobbed on? are all the pieces polished? if yes for both then there is a very good chance it's a GRC crank. pull up my post yosh part duex i have some GRC crank pics there.
        first timer,

Thanks, My crank welds look exactly like yours, it's not quite as shinny but its been sitting around since last spring in the previous owners place. It came with Stan's bill of sale and the box Stan originally sent it back in (still had original postage on it) and was wrapped in the same whiite plastic bag. I'm pretty sure its what the seller claims it is. I shouldn't be such a paranoid. He was great to deal with and the price was phenominal.

[Quote]= Measure one of your wrist pins with a micrometer & have the rod made the same diameter. Ray.

Ray thanks for that idea, I'll take it to work and have my machinist measure it I know I would screw it up. Maybe they can put it in V blocks and make sure it spins true at the same time.

Comment

Working...
        X