Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals, need clarification

Hi,

I have a 80 GS1000G that came to me with no turn signals. I put some signals from a GS850L on it but the blinkers don't work right. All 4 signals turn on as running lights, but if the signal switch is applied, the front light on that side will get brighter and the back light will shut off. Neither blinks. I tested with known good relay and control unit.

So I have a few questions:

1) Does the 1980 GS1000G need dual filament bulbs (the ones I installed are single filament)

2) If so, is it possible to retrofit the GS850 turnsignals with dual filament sockets or should I not waste my time trying?

3) If it's a waste of time to retrofit, does anyone know of a source for the correct turnsignals for less that $26 each (Dennis Kirk prices) ?????

Thanks a lot, sorry for the long message.

the 80 1000G did not come with running lights. it only had single filament bulbs, you may have them hooked up incorrectly, the left turn signal connects to a solid black wire, the right hooks to a green wire.
    the grounds hook to a black with white stripe wires.

Comment

Dont have complete answer(s) for you, but can say this:
      - On my 80 GS850G, the rear signals are single filimant, are not running lights, only come on and blink for turn signal. Clymer schematic for your bike shows single filimant in back also.
      - Sometimes when one filiment goes out when another comes on, the problem is a bad ground somewhere.
      - Also on schematic for your bike. Rear. White is Brake, Brown is Tail-Running, Green is Right turn, not certian but I think Left is Black (these are wiring harness wire color, not light itself).
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I had a little experience with GS turn signals lately. I'm rebuilding a 81 GS1000G and scrounging parts where possible from a 82 GS650E.
        The fronts on the 1000 are dual filaments, the rear & the 650's are all single. Other than being a little beat up.. one side worked and the other side the indicator came on but no flashing.
        That's the background..... after lots of troubleshooting & swapping parts.... I cleaned the base of the offending front bulb and everything started working. Moral.... sometimes a little corrosion can cause unexpected head scratching
        hope that helps someone

Comment

I had a little experience with GS turn signals lately. I'm rebuilding a 81 GS1000G and scrounging parts where possible from a 82 GS650E.
          The fronts on the 1000 are dual filaments, the rear & the 650's are all single. Other than being a little beat up.. one side worked and the other side the indicator came on but no flashing.
          That's the background..... after lots of troubleshooting & swapping parts.... I cleaned the base of the offending front bulb and everything started working. Moral.... sometimes a little corrosion can cause unexpected head scratching
          hope that helps someone

Comment

Originally posted by Art Lacroix
            hope that helps someone
            Suzuki changed to dual filiment in 81, the 80 has single filement bulbs in the front

Comment

Working...
            X