super glue or silicone whats better for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

super glue or silicone whats better for

having trouble with my airbox boots spinning when i go to install the airbox dont think the wd 40 i spray on the inside of the boots helps would it be better to put a dab of silicone sealer or a drop of super glue . took 5 min a few weeks ago to install it. everytime i line up the marks get 1 side lined up go to get the other they all seem to spin a bit .its about 20 degrees colder then when i installed them last time.. boots are soft. silicone would make it a little easier to remove but doesnt look as good. superglue shoudnt be a problem either rubber to metal. ive faught cused had the box on an off adleast 30 times. the clamps tighten up but not enough to hold the boot while pushing the otherside on . i dont have any help shouldnt be a problem if the boots dont spin. had to walk away from it for the night thanks

I've never used anything on the boots to keep them in place other than the clamps. It will be interesting to see what others recommend.

Comment

just want to put a little to keep them in posisition. they didnt spin last time but its colder now not as tight . im afraid to keep trying to spin them back i dont want to mess them up with a screwdriver

Comment

How about a piece of duct tape as a temporary way to hold them in place.

Comment

There should be spring loaded rings that fit inside the boots and hold it tight to the box. They're only a couple buck apiece from Suzuki.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

the load rings are all there and tight im sure its because i got wd40 under the lip when i sprayed the boots . i was going to pull the boots but my hands are to big to get the screws in the top of the airbox with an offset screwdriver without turning my arm into hamburger on the lip of the box where the air filter goes . put a little dab of black silicone boot to box they dont turn anymore . going out now to put it on

Comment

I bet the boots have hardened and shrunk with age.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

boots are soft they kept turning underwhile i was trying to get it in posisition. when they were turned the first time i gave them a squirt of lube under the lip so i could turn them back into posisition the dab of silicone worked airbox is back on they did shrink where the clamps go .ended up having to loosten the top bracket went right on then

Comment

Working...
                X