stupid question, maybe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stupid question, maybe...

But I never pretended to be all that bright. I have located a couple of possible exhaust replacement pieces, but want some clarification before I offer these guys any money. The first is from an '83 gs1100e, which would be my first choice. The 1100e is a sixteen valve engine, right? Since mine is an 8 valve , is there much of a difference?

The second is a set off a 650L, wich is the smaller sibling to the 1100L. I can probably get these chaper and they are closer to home, but I already know that the carbs , for example, are smaller ( looked at those on this same 650 last summer after stress testing mine on the concrete during rebuild....they failed BTW). I really only need from the crossover to the back. I looked at afer market slip- ons, and just don't see how I could make them work with my available tools and current knowledge. Thanks in advance for any help.

From my experience, everthing on 650 is smaller than on 850 (and presumably the 1100). Well, except some stuff like the mirrors or instruments. The frame/chassis is shorter in length and heighth. Header pipes are smaller I know, but .. about the mufflers them selves, dont exactly know, but would guess they are smaller also.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Dex if you are after from the crossover back then go with thew 1100 parts the 650 stuff will be fair bit smaller.
      Dink

Comment

First there are no stupid questions. I agree I would go with the 1100 stuff I'm sure it would be easier to adapt

Comment

My experience with the exhaust parts are thet they all look the same, but none really are. If the investment is large.. buy the right ones.. You may end up having to modify whatever you get...

Comment

I don't think any of the 16 valve exhaust stuff will fit your 8 valve GS1100. I looked long and hard to find a replacement exhaust for my 82 GS1100 (aftermarket, something from another model , etc...) and came up empty. Ended up buying a stock system through bikebandit.

Comment

There are never any stupid questions...only stupid people who ask them

J/K

Wasn't that a line in a movie? Can't recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi
                There are never any stupid questions...only stupid people who ask them

J/K

Wasn't that a line in a movie? Can't recall.
                I don't know. Good line though.
                "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

my search is over for the pipes. As usual, thanks for the responses and info

Comment

Working...
                  X