Z1 Enterprises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z1 Enterprises

I was going to order all my wire from this site as it has all the different colors and so forth. It doesn't tell the guage and I was wondering if it was okay to use this type of wire to re-wire my harness job. Thanks.

wire

Looks like a good choice, I would presume it's 16ga, which will work fine for 10A constant use or 15A intermittent. I recommend 14ga for headlights, but I like to err on the side of overkill.
    Some other options to consider, I've had good luck with the stuff on the wall down at Carquest, but it's a wee bit stiff. If you can get ahold of your local Wurth distributor they sell very good wire for a decent price. It's what we use at the custom Harley shop I work at, as it matches OEM HD wire perfectly. My 850's rear lighting harness is made from the stuff.
    If you can find harness tape at your local parts shop or car dealer it makes for a really clean harness. It's slightly thinner than electrical tape but it has no adhesive yet somehow sticks to itself. Looks better than OEM.
    Hope this is helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny K View Post
      It doesn't tell the guage ...
      Originally posted by Plooker View Post
      I would presume it's 16ga, which will work fine for 10A constant use or 15A intermittent. ...
      Why guess? It won't cost much to call them ( 315-926-5054 ), and it will cost even less to e-mail them ( technical@z1enterprises.com ).

Originally posted by Plooker View Post
      I recommend 14ga for headlights, but I like to err on the side of overkill. ...
      14 ga is definitely overkill. 16 ga is also overkill. Stock headlights only draw about 5 amps (65 watts / 14 volts = 4.64 amps). Even if you have a killer 100-watt bulb in there, you would be well within the limits of a 16 ga wire (100 watts / 14 volts = 7.14 amps). Even allowing for lower voltage at idle, you are still good (100 watts / 12 volts = 8.33 amps). Good connections are at least as important as proper wire size, but I would recommend 14 for the headlight, too.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Also:

<rant>
        I live in the motorsports capitol of the world, and there's a Wurth warehouse 1/2 mile from my house. But do you think I can find a way to actually walk in somewhere and buy a can of Wurth's excellent electrical connector cleaner or other Wurth supplies and products ? I cannot.

Manufacturers, I have one word for you: distribution. Try it sometime.

Thank you.
        </rant>
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

well then don't worry about buying a can of Wurth's excellent electrical connector cleaner, buy DeoxIT http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f

Comment

Working...
          X