Collector's vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collector's vehicle

I know this is a very state specific question so this may be a bit pointless. also I didn't know which forum to post this in.

anyway I have a 78 GS750 and just realized that I COULD get collector plates for it which in Washington don't have to be renewed annually. I looked on the Department of licencing website and the wording was rather vague.

To use collector plates, vehicles must be:
    • more than 30 years old.
    • capable of operating on the highway.
    • owned and operated as collector vehicles.

Collector vehicles may be driven:
    • to and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.
    • for testing purposes.
    • for the pleasure of others without compensation.

Collector vehicles may not be used for:
    • commercial purposes or to carry a load.
    • regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.
    the part that interests me is the may not be used for 'regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle' i could not find the RCW that defined this. and was wondering if anyone knew if this would for example prohibit me from driving it to work on nice days or something like that.
    I know most of you are not in washington state but someone has to have an idea of where to find the info.

any ideas?

Just a guess but I would think driving it to work would be a violation. Hard to imagine that you could get a ticket for it though.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

In CT we have 'Early American' plates, which I have on my 850. They have similar restrictions as you do. As it was explained to me by my insurance agent this is more of a concern on cars & trucks, intended to prevent abuse of the antuiqe plates on daily drivers. As long as you don't ride it to work every day you should be in the clear. The only time this could become an issue is in the event of an accident or an insurance claim. I'd be far more worried about the insurance implications rather than the potential for a ticket.

(I can't help but get a kick from having an 'early american' plate on my japanese bike. That and regularly showing it to the local RUBs on thier fatboys)

Comment

It also says it may be ridden "for the pleasure of others without compensation."

I know if I saw you riding along, it would give me pleasure to see a nice GS.....and I didn't pay you anything.

Is the only advantage to the plates is that you don't have to renew them every year ? What other advantages to collector plates ?
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
          It also says it may be ridden "for the pleasure of others without compensation."

I know if I saw you riding along, it would give me pleasure to see a nice GS.....and I didn't pay you anything.

Is the only advantage to the plates is that you don't have to renew them every year ? What other advantages to collector plates ?

well, I don't know about other advantages but not only do you not have to renew them every year, but you don't have to renew them EVER. they are good for the life of the vehicle. I thought that was kinda cool. plus just being able to say that you have a collector's vehicle would be kinda cool.

but I don't really see any other advantages on the DOL website...

Comment

That would be nice to never have to renew them. You may check with your insurance carrier and see what it would do to your rates to have a collector registered bike.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
              That would be nice to never have to renew them. You may check with your insurance carrier and see what it would do to your rates to have a collector registered bike.
              That is a good thought. In Washington there is no requirement for insurance on motorcycles so I don't have insurance on either of my bikes (both were purchased originally for $500 each so I'm not to worried about it). I doubt it would affect my car insurance but in theory it COULD so I should check...

Comment

in texas antique tags are for vehicles older than 25 years. allthough they still have to be renewed every year (state wants the tax money). with these tags you can only drive the vehicle 1500 miles per year but there is no state inspection. i have been thinking of getting some for my 67 fairlane but the speedo does not work and i don't know how they check milage. i have a friend that has some on a 67 lemans that sits in his driveway that hasn't been driven in 6 years. he has been doing work on it very slowly. the reason he put the tags on it was the city wanted to tow it off because it has sat for so long. about once a year he gets a letter to remove it and he calls and tells the to come buy and he will show them it does run and can be moved and is tagged. always makes the city made because it is legal.

Comment

Umm, I thought you were testing it out on the way to work so that when the weekend roles around, you will be good for that antique bike show LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by 82shafty View Post
                    umm, i thought you were testing it out on the way to work so that when the weekend roles around, you will be good for that antique bike show lol.
                    exactly!!!

Comment

A friend of mine here in oHIo has several bikes with 'collector' plates on them.

Yes, mileage is supposed to be limited to shows and whatnot, but he figures that if he is ever stopped, he will say that he was going to be part of a display/parade/whatever on the way home from work. And, with so many bikes to choose from, he can ride a different 'collector' bike every day of the week, so the chances of being caught are rather slim.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not worth the agravation. I imagine you could get away with it on the weekends, During the week you probably get stopped

Comment

I've never heard of anyone getting stopped for having aftermarket pipes, pods, different needles, no turn signals, etc.. I wouldn't sweat it. (Although it might be worth looking into the penalties just in case.)

Comment

That grey area is a gimme...

How does a cop know where you were going? What business is it of his anyway?

I think you are looking too deep...just do it.

Comment

One of the issues I have seen with classic or antique vehicles has been the insurance policies. Many of the classic policies will not cover the vehicle in a parking lot. This is there way of making sure the vehicle is used for pleasure or shows and not for daily use. I currently just use regular insurance on my vehicles but I have a few that are in storage that have a moderately high value that will need proper coverage when I choose to put them on the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X