Collector's vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
    Not worth the agravation. I imagine you could get away with it on the weekends, During the week you probably get stopped
    Total agreement here. Old M/Cs are so cheap to license and insure, why fret about the possibility of a ticket?

Comment

In WI the only stipulations on collector or hobbyist plates are you have to have a vehicle with a normal plate and the collector/hobbyist licensed vehicle cannot be driven in January and it has to be at least 25 years old. The initial cost for the plate is $70 or so, but it's a one time purchase. Then if you have other vehicles that fall into that qualification they are $25 or so.

But you can drive it as much as you want anywhere you want, except in January.

When I lived in MO it had to be 25 years old and only driven to car shows or the like, or was it just weekends... I forgot and that was long ago.

Comment

Of course if you're driving a bike in Jan in Wisconsin you might qualify for a "mentally handicapped" plate.

Comment

Curious question, i was once denied classic car insurance, i lived in new york at the time could this be the reason i was denied?

No accidents, tickets etc....

Comment

Here in BC Canada you can get a collector's plate for your car or bike if it is 25 years old, original condition and very good shape - no rust, damage missing pieces etc. You have to submit an application including photographs and if they accept the application they send you a plate.

With the collector plate insurance then goes from about $800 a year to $220 a year for my GS1000. The conditions are that you must have a different vehicle registered as your primary transportation and you can never use the collector bike/vehicle to go to and from work or for any commercial use etc.

Those insurance prices are with the maximum safe driving discount available as well.... Seems BC insurance is quite expensive (government insurance, no other options, a monopoly). It has its pros and cons...

Comment

Yeah, but we're not Canadians.

You can drive it to work with such tags. But you should not do it everyday because if you do it too often, you are asking for trouble.

Once or twice a week and you should have no problem.

Most antique vehicle insurance policies require that the vehicle be kept in a locked garage, but there is no prohibition against parking it wherever while you are out driving it.

Both the law and the policies limit your driving to some 3500 miles or so per year and state that it is to be used for parades, club activities, AND OTHER OCCASIONAL USE, but is not to be used for daily transportation. The insurance company also usually asks about what other vehicle you use for your daily getting around.

With collector cars, I always insure with JC Taylor, full coverage antique insurance is so much cheaper that normal car insurance. But bike insurance is so cheap through Markel, that I'd consider getting regular bike insurance regardless of how you tag it, even if your state doesn't require it...
              Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2009, 07:12 PM.

Comment

I live in Ohio and I have Historical plates on my 81 GS750 as well as my 82 Chevy truck.
                The bike I drive daily in the summer and the truck occasionally to fairly often. I have been pulled over in both, the bike numerous times for various reasons and have never been asked anything in regards to the Historical plates. (usually just why were you going so fast)
                In Ohio you can get Historical or Collectors plates. The Collectors plates have a few more restrictions but the nice thing about the Historical plates is that they are good for 50 years. I wont have to renew my plates on the truck or bike until I am 81 years old. LOL.
                Just my personal opinion but I would take the gamble and do it.

Comment

To quote Nike...Just Do It!

I have them on anything over 30 years old and have never had an issue even when I ride them to work (DT175/DT250). I have used them at the ORV park (it is enjoyment after all), and communting to work. I have never been questioned, hassled, anything even when I have been stopped.

They will go on my GS550E and FJ1100 when the time comes.

I live in Spokane, WA if that helps.

Kenny

Comment

well i emailed one of my local police officers and this is the gist of what he said.

There is no clear cut definition for what 'regular' use is. I've only ever written one ticket for this. And in that case, it was the ONLY vehicle the person had, and I saw it every day in various weather conditions. Essentially being able to prove it was his only means of transportation, he commuted to work daily in it, and he wasn't a 'fair weather' driver.

I think in the case of your bike, you could easily argue that it's a fair weather vehicle. Probably not driven except when days are conducive to riding, and that if you got stopped going to work on it, your plans were to meet up with friends after work for a cruise around the county. You'll not have to worry about anybody from *insert Washington state police agency here*, because we have a couple of guys here who do it all the time.

*insert name of local Police officer here*
                    and by gist i meant i copy and pasted the email with of couple of mad-lib blanks added in..

so it looks like i'm good to go, now i just have to make the bike look semi-presentable (someone about 3x owners back spray painted it black *grrrrr*)

Comment

plates

I am in washington alos, I have thought about getting collector plates for my 78 gs550, if anyone ever asked me "i am testing out my ajustments"
                      that and if your riding along with someone, "were touring today" or "just dont take the same routs all the time,

Comment

Working...
                      X