Need input on a 83 GS750E.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need input on a 83 GS750E.

As many might know, I sold the GS1000 last fall. Just never clicked with it. Kind of regret selling my 750L to buy it, but thats neither here nor there.

I've found yet another bike on Craigslist to save and bring back from the dead, this time being a 1983 GS750E.

By the looks of things, it's a bit of a departure from the older GS bikes. Monoshocked, different engine design, smaller front wheel, anti-dive, etc. It seems to be a 'thicker', bigger bike than my old 80 750L.

It's in rough-but-recoverable shape, will need a left side cover for sure, paint, and probably a new headgasket.

Point of this thread is just to open up a dialogue about the bike and get some feedback on how people like it, what kind of updates can be done and whatnot.

Any info that anyone can add about the bike will be great. I realize there isnt a specific question here just hoping for a general discussion.

It will seem like a much smaller, lighter, faster, and more maneuverable bike than your 750L, mainly because it is all of that.

The only knock on it compared to the older 750 models is that because it is a monoshock, upgrading the rear susupension is more difficult than on the dual shock models. Handling will seem a bit "twitchy" compared to your other GSes, until you get used to it. Once you get used to the drastically faster steering, going back to an older GS will feel like driving a truck.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Well, going from my old 750 to a new Sportster in a day felt like going from a Ferrari to a Freightliner, so I'm very interested to see what it can do. Unfortunately I'm over 6 months removed from riding the 750 so seat-of-the-pants differences may be a bit lacking.

This thing is going to need some work before it's ready to go, but it should be a solid project.

What options are there for upgrading the rear suspension if it gets to that point?

Side note: Does anyone have any pics of what the stock color schemes for 83 are on this bike? this thing has a barn job on it and looks like hell.

Comment

Got rid of my '83 750 quickly, it was fun to ride for an hour, but the mini-bike seating position got painful fast.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

All of what Griffin said and more. They are just very strong and capable motorcyles. Agile, quick, and quite fast with very good handling manners.
          For what it's worth, I think they are one of the most understated bikes the GSResource covers...........then again, I do ride one myself.
          It will never be a long distance tourer but it will take you for long rides in respectible confort. It will make it up for you in the twisties.
          It does like to rev and develops some real power up on top. Below 5,500/6,000 rpm it moves nicely but nothing to write home about. After 6,000 rpm it will accelerate very hard.
          Some people prefer the power to be spread out a bit more throughout the rev range.
          I kinda like the mad rush those little explosions provide!!!!!

Comment

One thing I noticed from the pictures - it's an E model with the headlight that turns with the bars.

How difficult would an ES fairing swap be? I can imagine finding parts is going to be a pain?

I simply love the was the ES bikes look.

Comment

I think the ES had shorter clip ons, as well.

My 84 Kat is esentially a 750ES with Katana bodywork. In my eyes the square tube frame is much cooler than the older round tubers, and for what its worth, I doubt I'll buy another motorcycle. Just don't like any of them enough to drop the cash. They are everything the older GS's are, just great cycles.

Comment

I have an '85 700 which is essentially the same bike. In stock form it was a pretty good bike. Did everything in a balanced form. I rode it completely stock for about 6 months before mounting a Kerker K2, K&N pods, and a Dynojet kit. I rode it that way for about 7 years and was happy with it. In about '93 I upgraded the fork, wheels, and brakes. The rear shock remained until about 3 years ago. In about '94 I picked up some RS flatslides and they completely changed the character of the bike. They pull way harder than the stock CVs. I pulled the head a year or two later and had all new valves installed with a valve job and some mild porting. At that point I switched to a Yosh Duplex pipe meant for an oil cooled gixxer that fits snug, but does fit. The power above redline will have you winding the bike out and it happily obliges. They are tough little bikes.

The shock I picked up for the rear was bought from the classifieds here in the forum. I got a Works Performance Durasport with remote reservoir a guy had for sale that fit our bikes. He had it at a ridiculously low price of $150, and it was barely used. I was the first to pull the trigger and Paypal the money so I got the shock.

At the moment I'm working on having a block done to use with a set of Cosworth 12:1cr pistons and a set of V&H cams. I'll have the head redone and if I can afford to I'll pick up a set of titanium retainers.

I picked up an '86 GSXR750 this past summer and it's fun to ride, but I still enjoy the 700 more.

Comment

I don't have a lot to add in the way of hop up information as mine is stock with the exception of SS brake lines and all black paint ( it goes faster now than when painted burgundy and black). I think it is fine just the way it is with heaps of power and tons of comfort. Mind you I'm coming off of a "trackerised" XS650 so I'm easy to please.

I actually did get the 750 for the comfort offered by the big seat. It may not be a grand tourer but it is plenty comfortable for 3 or 4 hours. With gobs of power on tap its fine for highway work as well and as mentioned, it is not slouch in the twisties either with the quick steering 16" wheel.

Speaking of the wheel, that is the only drawback I've encountered so far as it was difficult for me to find rubber for it up here. Not a popular size anymore I guess.

I can't see any reason to change this bike as it is a good solid all round commuter/tourer. Having said that, however, I'm starting to wonder if this is good wouldn't an 1150 be great?

I don't think you can lose if the price is right.

Let us know if you get it.

Cheers,
                  Spyug
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                    Having said that, however, I'm starting to wonder if this is good wouldn't an 1150 be great?
                    What about your plans for an FJ? I'll have to get you to ride mine when it gets on the road. (I want an 1150 too )

Comment

Actually any thoughts of another bike this year is wishful thinking. I still would love an FJ someday but with the economy going the way it is... I'll really be lucky if I can hold on to the GS and XS even.

I'm self employed like friend RBruce and suffering in much the same way. Customers are slow to pay and several have stiffed me as well. I've just endured the worst 4 months of the last 13 years and the phone's not ringing. Top it off, the tax man is hounding me almost daily, its payday tomorrow and the bank accounts empty. Sucks to be me right now

Dreaming bikes and praying for an early spring so I can get out for a scoot is all that's keeping me going.

Cheers all,
                      Spyug

Comment

Not to side track the thread or anything, if you don't mind me asking, what is your line of work?

We're pretty slow right now too. Luckily I locked down a few big projects last year that are keeping us busy enough for the next few months.

Comment

Since we already sidetracked a bit...

I feel like a vulture. I'm in the movie distribution business and bad economy generally doesn't effect us, if anything business improves (cheap enetrtainment). We are on all our budget targets and I'm due a fat bonus in about a month. I'm busily looking for deals others are forced into by the downturn. Yes, it does make me feel bad sometimes.

Comment

Rudy, Not to highjack this thread further, I'll post a seperate thread to reply.

Cheers Spyug

Comment

OEM paint sceme

I have an 83' 750 T original paint. I don't know if the paint was the same for the E modal, but you can check it out in my profile. (Black & Red) oh, and I don't experience any power curve @ higher RPMs, she pulls like a beast all the way through the tach. Good luck with yours. PEACE!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X