finally picked up my baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally picked up my baby

So I finally got everything lined up and got to pick up my baby from PA. She's a 1980 with only 15k on her. Been 3 years since she last ran. I got her stashed at my uncles garage and will be doing some more work this weekend. Have two new tires, & a new battery to install. The breaks are frozen/rusted so new break pads front and back (any suggestions on where to get em?) Clean out the carbs, clean out the tank see what else needs doing and see if I get her started.
    Eventually I want to replace the seat with a flat seat and put some lower bars on maybe European, but I haven't decided yet and that will wait till she's running. Still pretty new to here so I expect I'll have plenty of questions. I'll include more and hopefully better pictures as well.

Pics no werkey.

Comment

I think ebay is the least expensive place to find brake pads. You really should rebuild the calipers with Suzuki parts. They supply everything for this minus the pads.

Try this for pics via photobucket.....

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

try this again
        http://lh3.ggpht.com/_z-0VdIs2uo4/SW...0110091546.jpg

Comment

Nice project! so how far are you going to take the work? get her running again? or nice & shiny as possible?

Comment

Good question. From what I can tell so far she's in decent shape. I have to rely on the kindness of my uncle as I don't have a place of my own to work so I don't think I can take all winter. Getting her running strong is the priority right now, cosmetics will be next, she should clean up real pretty though...

Comment

Nice find !! Looks a little snowy there. Really nice backrest and rack too ! Good plan to get her mechanically sound first. Doesn't look like much cosmetic work is needed.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Yeah the snow didn't make things easy but it was manageable. Gonna see how much I can get done this weekend. Now I'm not too sure what I'm going to have to do with the breaks. Not sure if I need to replace the discs.

Comment

Originally posted by nycs10011 View Post
                  Yeah the snow didn't make things easy but it was manageable. Gonna see how much I can get done this weekend. Now I'm not too sure what I'm going to have to do with the breaks. Not sure if I need to replace the discs.
                  You're right, probably won't have to replace the discs. I mean the calipers innerds. Pistons, seals, etc.....You may know that over time the brake fluid will deteriorate the lines and the rubber seals in the calipers. Suzuki parts are the only way to go with these. The online vendors sell rebuild kits for the calipers but the pistons are not included. Since break fluid also attracts moisture the pistons will pit and rust.

It's kinda a fiddling, finger dexterity testing job. But knowing your breaks are going to work when you pull the lever, is a great peace of mind...
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                  X