Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with tire choises for 83 GS750ES..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with tire choises for 83 GS750ES..

I need a new set of front and rear. The sticker on the bike says 100/90 16 for the front and 120/80 17 for the rear. I am having a difficult time finding tires that fit these. Does anyone else with the same bike have different sizes and what brands do you have.. Thanks.. Also, know kf any good places online to buy tires?

On my 700 I currently have a 130/80 17 on the rear, I've had 130/90 17 on it in the past. Stock it comes with a 120/90 17. I currently have a Cheng shin Barracuda V on the back, and I actually like it, it's not as hard as I thought it would be, but I haven't ridden it in the rain yet. I've also run a Pirelli Sport Demon, it's a great tire, but doesn't last very long (4500mi maybe). As for online places check out http://discountmotorcycletire.com/. I've decided I hate mounting tires myself, so I go to a local place, spend a little more ($10 +-) and they mount and balance for free. This makes me happy

Comment

I have been using Metzelers on my 1983 GS750ES for a number of years. These are not cheap tires but they deliver good handling in the wet or dry.

The ME33 Laser is a wonderful front tire. I use a 110/90-16 (vs. 100/90-16 OE) and usually get between 8,000 - 9,000 miles usage. The ME33 is currently being replaced by the newer ME330 design.

I have been using a ME55A Metronic in 130/90-17 (vs. 120/90-17 OE) on the rear. Tire life has generally been around 5,000 miles. Clearance is a little tight (especially on the right side) but sufficient. The ME55A Metronic is also being phased out in favour of the newer ME550, which I recently fitted to my bike. Interestingly, the ME550 is marginally cheaper than the old ME55A and is about 6 - 8 mm narrower (at least in the 130/90-17 size) than the ME55A, resulting in plenty of clearance with the bike. I haven't done sufficient mileage on the ME550 to form a performance judgment but I expect it to be at least as good as the old design.

Comment

wonderful. Thanks for the info. I had Metz on my 2002 R6 which I really liked, but a local bike shop said that it probably wasnt a good idea to put on that kind of tire on such an old bike. Good to know that someone has /is using them.

Comment

That Metzeler ME33 or modern equivelent is an excellent front choice. I have always run a 120/80 front though and have had no problems. The choices are better in this size- the front stock rim is only .35inches narrower than the rear, (2.15 vs 2.5) which had a 120 size tire stock. Dunlop 501 series are also very good tires. A 130 rear is max unless use use a wider rim and modify the rear brake carrier. Good Luck, Ed.

Comment

Working...
          X