Addition to CV Carb Rebuild Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Addition to CV Carb Rebuild Parts

Just went through clean and rebuild of my carbs and found the rubber plugs over the pilot jets needed to be replaced. They were so old and dried out that they almost fell out. I've seen plenty of mention related to new o-rings, but was surprised that these aren't mentioned when explaining the rebuild process. Seems to be the only other rubber in the carbs besides the o-rings.

True, there is no mention of them, but at least the price to get them is rather reasonable.

One of the reasons that Robert Barr has his o-ring kit available is that Suzuki charges so much for the individual rings, it gets rather expensive to do a set of carbs. The pilot jet plugs are rather reasonable by comparison. Be sure to change them if they are loose. You might get by if they are just a bit loose, but they can introduce problems that you will drive yourself nuts trying to track down. They won't fall out in normal use because there is a little casting in the float bowl that holds them in place, but loose plugs might leak around the edges, allowing extra gas where there shouldn't be.

I have not added up what the OEM o-rings would cost on a set of GS carbs,
    but I recently had to do the same to the carbs on my son's Yamaha Venture Royale.
    Just the gaskets and o-rings inside the carbs were about $125.
    To add insult to injury, all four diaphragms needed to be replaced, too.
    Fortunately, they weren't too bad, only $57 each, but the total was still about $350 to go through his carbs.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      True, there is no mention of them, but at least the price to get them is rather reasonable.

One of the reasons that Robert Barr has his o-ring kit available is that Suzuki charges so much for the individual rings, it gets rather expensive to do a set of carbs. The pilot jet plugs are rather reasonable by comparison. Be sure to change them if they are loose. You might get by if they are just a bit loose, but they can introduce problems that you will drive yourself nuts trying to track down. They won't fall out in normal use because there is a little casting in the float bowl that holds them in place, but loose plugs might leak around the edges, allowing extra gas where there shouldn't be.

but I recently had to do the same to the carbs on my son's Yamaha Venture Royale.
      To add insult to injury, all four diaphragms needed to be replaced, too.
      Fortunately, they weren't too bad, only $57 each, but the total was still about $350 to go through his carbs.
      how big of a deal is it if I dont get the fuel tube o-rings?

Comment

I would go ahead and replace them while you have the carbs apart. The cycle o-ring kit comes with them.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
        AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
          how big of a deal is it if I dont get the fuel tube o-rings?
          I'd say a really big deal, as that's where they carbs are prone to leak. Any +-20 year old rubber components are going to be tired and brittle.

Get the o-rings from www.cycleorings.com as twr1776 said.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Recently rebuilt a set of VM29's and cut my own floatbowl gaskets and bought O-rings from McMaster-Carr. The smaller size O-rings are typically less than $5/100 so even if you have several different sizes to get, it's worth purchasing this way. I've been selling off "kits" to get rid of the spares for $5-$7 and have easily recovered my costs on the origional purchase.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
              I'd say a really big deal, as that's where they carbs are prone to leak. Any +-20 year old rubber components are going to be tired and brittle.

Get the o-rings from www.cycleorings.com as twr1776 said.
              Yyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh bout that........I already ordered the kit but I dont think I would ever get the rails off my carbs to take them apart I was trying last night and no matter how hard I tryed I could not even get a screw to move with out stripping it. I could realy get into it with pb blaster and all but I just dont know cause It road just fine last summer it would cut a bit at stops and idle funny and such but I also didnt use the rebuild cite on the GS forums the first time I rebuilt them so I hadnt even touched the mixture screw or the float levels.

any how I feel like a I totally snaked this thread and a jerk so..... im gunna go now.

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
                Yyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh bout that........I already ordered the kit but I dont think I would ever get the rails off my carbs to take them apart I was trying last night and no matter how hard I tryed I could not even get a screw to move with out stripping it. I could realy get into it with pb blaster and all but I just dont know cause It road just fine last summer it would cut a bit at stops and idle funny and such but I also didnt use the rebuild cite on the GS forums the first time I rebuilt them so I hadnt even touched the mixture screw or the float levels.

any how I feel like a I totally snaked this thread and a jerk so..... im gunna go now.

Get an impact driver. I got mine from Sears. Use the search feature and you'll come across a pic of one. It's the easiest way to remove those pesky screws. When it comes time for reassembly, do so with metric socket head screws, otherwise known as allen heads. I've replaced every one one my bike. From the carbs to the case covers to the valve head cover, etc.....
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                X