Wheel balancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel balancing

Considering that a chain is attached to the rear wheel, is it necessary to balance that wheel, as compared to the front?

Most definitely.

Since the number of teeth on the sprocket don't match the number of links in the chain, the chain is not going to match the same spot on the wheel on every revolution. Besides, there are almost three times as many teeth on the chain, so it would only match on one out of three revolutions, anyway. And ... why would the chain have any effect on wheel balance in the first place?

Wheel balance will be noticeable at speeds greater than 40-45 mph. The greater the imbalance, the sooner you will notice it. If you intend to stay in town only as a commuter, you can probably get by without balancing a wheel/tire, but if you get on the highway at all, you will want it done.

By the way, the front wheel has a rotor or two on it, so maybe you shouldn't have to balance it, either? Seriously though, rotors just might have an imbalance, but it's rather unlikely. Best bet is to balance BOTH wheels and enjoy your ride.

Last edited by Steve; 01-18-2009, 09:49 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Dittos -- what Steve said.

Balance yer wheels! And do it yerself so you know it's been done right.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html most people will knock it since it's not a a wheel weight, but people on here have reported results and use nothing else.

Comment

Do the go in when the tire is removed from the rim or do they go in through the air valve stem when the core is removed?

Comment

valve stem, click on installation toolbar at the site

Comment

Cool thanks! does it really work that well?

Comment

I'm sure Dynabeads work, but I just don't want to deal with them bouncing all over the place when I change tires.

(Before declaring Dynabead Jihad against the unbeliever, please note that I am willing to concede that they work as advertised, and I'm sure you have a wonderful setup for dealing with them at tire change time and I didn't mean to start a holy war or anything and oh man, I'm so sorry this topic ever came up...)
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yea i hear ya, to each his own. I'm just throwing out a possibility and if people wanna bitch then bitch away. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Comment

The beads are an interesting approach. I can't say as how it makes me want to run right out and plop down the 40-odd dollars they likely charge for these things but I'm sure they do a fine job and I can see how they would have a certain appeal.
                    There's not enough room for improvement over traditional methods to make it worth my while. Of course if I had $4000 worth of custom rims on my bike I'd be real pleased to have a way to balance them that didn't leave any visible evidence.

For now, I'm gonna stick to my balancing stand and good old fashioned lead.

Comment

I just bought a Dyna beads bike kit at the last bike show in Toronto. $15 was it.

I don't want to put weights on my polished spokies cuz that looks like crap. Also running tubes (duh, they're spokies), so tire changes won't get too dangerous with little balls all over the floor.

Not to start a Gihad about how good/bad they are, it's my first time trying them and I figured I'd have a go. The price was right.

Comment

If you choose to run weights and do it yourself, i saw wrapping solder around the spokes to get the proper balance if you don't have a whole selection of weights. Seems to be a very cheap alternative and probably everyone has a spool lying around somewhere. Makes kind of a cool look too and a little silicone holds it in place just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          I'm sure Dynabeads work, but I just don't want to deal with them bouncing all over the place when I change tires.
                          That's a really good point. I am among the converts to these things. I'll never go back to standard weights. That being said, it seems like it'll be a pain to swap out the beads during a tire change. Right now they're only in my tube tired bikes. So, I'll probably find out this Summer about tubeless tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Plooker View Post
                            The beads are an interesting approach. I can't say as how it makes me want to run right out and plop down the 40-odd dollars they likely charge for these things but I'm sure they do a fine job and I can see how they would have a certain appeal.
                            There's not enough room for improvement over traditional methods to make it worth my while. Of course if I had $4000 worth of custom rims on my bike I'd be real pleased to have a way to balance them that didn't leave any visible evidence.

For now, I'm gonna stick to my balancing stand and good old fashioned lead.
                            This is an old thread I know but I just gotta wonder who is charging $40.00 for Dyna Beads. I got mine for $5.40.

Comment

Working...
                            X