Riding with a weak stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding with a weak stator

My GS1000 has a weak stator that I have diagnosed by doing the tests outlined in the stator papers. I'm getting 12.7-12.8V at 4000rpm. I've ordered a new stator through Electrosport and I'm waiting patiently for it to arrive

In the meantime, it's Sunday, no clouds, and I want to go for a ride.

About how long will the bike run on a fully charged battery with the headlight on?

I could pull the headlight fuse as I would only be riding in the light but I would prefer not to (safety reasons).

Thanks in advance
    Steve P

Did you test the stator disconnected, should get 70 or so volts AC at several thousand RPM?

Probably not the stator, if it is making enough to charge at all it is likely bad gounds or a R/R problem.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

what tells you you have a weak stator? you didn't list the stator output.

the voltage test at the battery is not a real good test because the charge status of the battery affects the voltage.

with a battery that is not fully charged (like right after starting) the voltage will be lower as the amperage going to the battery will be higher.

take a couple laps around the block keeping the RPM up above 3K and check the voltage again, this will tell you if you have a true problem and how bad.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Did you test the stator disconnected, should get 70 or so volts AC at several thousand RPM?

Probably not the stator, if it is making enough to charge at all it is likely bad grounds or a R/R problem.
        Really, Check the RR connector for corrosion and jumper the RR ground wire to the batt neg. That may just light er up !
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks, will do

Comment

Back to your original question, without the headlight on, the bike will run for quite a long time on battery power alone, as the ignition system uses very little power, racing bikes, I used to race a full race day with 5 heats during the day on battery power alone, and there was no hint of the battery going flat yet, but with the headlight on, you are not going to get very far, and you will more than likely be pushing the bike home.
            Pull the fuse and go enjoy your ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
              Back to your original question, without the headlight on, the bike will run for quite a long time on battery power alone, as the ignition system uses very little power, racing bikes, I used to race a full race day with 5 heats during the day on battery power alone, and there was no hint of the battery going flat yet, but with the headlight on, you are not going to get very far, and you will more than likely be pushing the bike home.
              Pull the fuse and go enjoy your ride.
              I have lost a leg from the stator before that ran the battery down while riding.
              unplugged the headlight bulb and jumped the bike off and the two remaining legs charged the battery just fine.
              that is why pre-80 GS and GS sold everyplace but America cut off one leg when the headlight is turned off.

have the headlight off with a good functioning charging system and you will over heat the regulator and fry it.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. SP-GS1000GL,

I must really be slipping. You've got twelve posts, been here since last October, and I can't find where I've given you a proper welcome. So...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of suggestions and links to our favorite vendors and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. You'll find lots of GS lovin' around here. Have we seen pictures yet? Not you, your bike!

I encourage you to get your electrical issues straightened out as soon as you can. One bad component can lead to the failure of another (i.e. a bad r/r can cook your stator). Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I bought a Kawi KZ440 stator off Ebay for $20 with shipping. It looked and acts brand new. I get 14.8v at 5000rpms and it's way over 13v at idle.
                  These Kaws have stators that fit in our GSs.
                  1979 Kawasaki KZ400H Ltd
                  1980 Kawasaki KZ440D Ltd
                  1981 Kawasaki KZ440D Ltd
                  1982 Kawasaki KZ440D Ltd
                  1983 Kawasaki KZ440D Ltd
                  1980 Kawasaki KZ550A
                  1981 Kawasaki KZ550A
                  1982 Kawasaki KZ550A
                  1983 Kawasaki KZ550A
                  1980 Kawasaki KZ550C Ltd
                  1981 Kawasaki KZ550C Ltd
                  1982 Kawasaki KZ550C Ltd
                  1983 Kawasaki KZ550C Ltd
                  1981 Kawasaki KZ550D GPz
                  1984 Kawasaki KZ550F Ltd
                  1983 Kawasaki KZ550F Spectre
                  1982 Kawasaki KZ550H GPz
                  1983 Kawasaki KZ550H GPz
                  1983 Kawasaki KZ550M Ltd
                  1982 Kawasaki KZ750N Spectre
                  1983 Kawasaki KZ750N Spectre
                  1993 Kawasaki ZR1100A
                  1990 Kawasaki ZR550B Zephyr
                  1991 Kawasaki ZR550B Zephyr
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

FWIW, the small battery on my 550 was good for at least 40 minutes of running with the headlight on when I had a misrepaired stator wire problem.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      I bought a Kawi KZ440 stator off Ebay for $20 with shipping. It looked and acts brand new. I get 14.8v at 5000rpms and it's way over 13v at idle.
                      you might want to have your meter tested, 14.8 volts is on the high side. 14.2 is the highest you want it to go.

Comment

My Wally World multimeter is the bomb!
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
                          you might want to have your meter tested, 14.8 volts is on the high side. 14.2 is the highest you want it to go.
                          Really?

Then why does my factory manual say that the output should be 14.0 to 15.5 volts?

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by SP-GS1000GL View Post
                            My GS1000 has a weak stator that I have diagnosed by doing the tests outlined in the stator papers. I'm getting 12.7-12.8V at 4000rpm. I've ordered a new stator through Electrosport and I'm waiting patiently for it to arrive

In the meantime, it's Sunday, no clouds, and I want to go for a ride.

About how long will the bike run on a fully charged battery with the headlight on?

I could pull the headlight fuse as I would only be riding in the light but I would prefer not to (safety reasons).

Thanks in advance
                            Steve P
                            My stator and my R/R were fried, on a full charge on my 550E i managed to ride for 30 to 40 minutes, you can too providing you don't stop and have to re-start it. Maybe longer depending on how good it was running before the stator gave up.

Comment

Originally posted by SP-GS1000GL View Post
                              My stator crapped out, on a return road trip, 500 miles out. I push started it 3 times at gas stations....and once more to get it to the dealer for the warranty work...and I never disconnected the head light.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X