No announcement yet.

Brake light stays on all the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three posts with concerns and a solution! That's why it's great to be a member of the GSR. Thanks!

The hydraulic switch - I assume it goes inline with the front brake line? It looks inexpensive enough, to be sure. How difficult is the install?

For the record, I really don't feel comfortable disconnecting the front brake switch. But after studying the switch carefully (yes, all the parts are there) I really question how it could possibly work. I know that sounds crazy, but the twin copper bars on the switch plate are so long, that the copper contact MUST always contact them, closing the switch. Logic tells me the same as tkent02, but after 2 hours of careful work with the correct tools, I can come to no other conclusion. It's possible that someone replaced the switch plate/twin wires with one from another bike model, but that seems unlikely, given the fact that the spare I have from another 550t looks identical.

So again, tell me about this hydraulic switch, I've not seen them before.

Comment

Well, nevermind with the details. The search function comes through for me again! I see where it just replaces a banjo bolt and the obvious place is the manifold behind the light bucket. Very nice solution imho. I'm going for it!

Comment

Only one brake light switch is not a good idea.
        Your state may require the light to operate with either lever. You'll have to fix it anyway. may as well do it now when you aren't riding.

Comment

Hi,

I just wanted to point out the associated information that I've collected on my website. Thanks to all of the contributors.

Front Brake Switch Repair
          (by Mr. gravity tester)

And from the More Info/Odds and Ends Brakes page:

If you'd like to replace your mechanical brake switch with a hydraulic switch (10mmx1.0 thread), here are a couple of sources:
          Our brake light switches make it easy to add a brake light switch to your race car. The tee adapter can be installed in any -3 brake line. The banjo bolt switches can be used with banjo fittings.

http://www.denniskirk.com/ Goodridge Brake Light Banjo Bolt

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Basscliff, thanks for the link. I checked it out previously to make sure I knew what I was getting into. I have used a lot of stuff off your website and you sir, are awesome for hosting that info.

Short of extending the switch plate connector holes to allow more lateral movement, it ain't gonna work.

I do have one question regarding the hydraulic option. I see both double and single brake light versions and single and double bleed versions. I plan to replace one of the banjo bolts on my 550's manifold. Which do I need, or does it matter? Tkent02, you directed me to the double brake light version at Pegasus but I want to be sure.

As an aside, I also found the single banjo hydraulic brake switch at Z1, so I'm going to combine that order with a couple of other goodies.
            See here:http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=3380
            Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2009, 03:45 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Working...
            X