Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug tap

I was doing some rejetting today.
    I was checking my plug colors of some very hot spark plugs.
    When I was putting one of them in with the wrench it started
    threading a little sideways, by the time I realized it
    was hard to turn I had already buggered up the first couple of threads.
    I tried to put a new plug in there but that didn't work.

I really didn't want to go the helicoil route unless absoulutely necessary.

Here's my question;
    I want to try a spark plug tap but i don't want any metal shavings falling inside.
    I don't feel like pulling the engine apart either
    Any suggestions about what I can put in the spark plug hole
    to catch any shavings.
    I have to be able to pull it out with out dropping any shavings too.

Thanks
    Mo

coat the tap with grease, do a few turns clean and re grease etc. The grease should keep most of the shavings out of the engine

Comment

Thanks Lynn,
      I'll give that a try.
      Luckily it's on #4 and it's easy to access.
      I sure would like to meet you someday,
      it's a shame we live 3,000 miles apart.

God's Peace
      Mo

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        coat the tap with grease, do a few turns clean and re grease etc. The grease should keep most of the shavings out of the engine
        I have done the grease on the tap thing also and it works pretty well. You still might end up with some shavings in the cylinder. When you are done re-tapping it duct tape a flexible drinking straw or small diameter PVC tube to the end of a vacuum cleaner suction hose and stick it down the spark hole and move it around.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Gary.
          I'll do that.

Peace
          Mo

Comment

I install spark plugs with a spark plug socket clipped onto a 3" extension, but I never use a ratchet. I turn the plugs down with my finger tips holding the shaft of the extension. Once the plugs are turned all the way down with my fingers, I then snap a ratchet onto the extension and seat them. Its nearly impossible to cross thread a spark plug and twist it hard enough to damage anything with only your fingertips. :-)

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

What I use when installing/removeing plugs is a spark plug rubber boot.You can feel the threads much better.When I clean the threads with a thread chaser is turn the motor over until the exhaust valve is wide open.I then use air pressure through the exhaust pipes to help blow out metal particals along with grease on the tap.Never had any problem with particals falling in the cylinder.Be SURE to wear eye protection !!!

Comment

Working...
              X