Fair price for carb rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair price for carb rebuild

Before riding weather gets here in ny im thinking i better have my carbs looked at/rebuilt.the bikes seems to turn over alot before starting and no matter what the weather if it sits a bite i have to choke it to get it to start then it seems to still turn over to much in my mind not as much if it was cold though..thought i would see what the prices are out there before i go searching.id try to do it myself but carbs and i have never gotten along even car carbs,or am i missing something else that would cause this

thanks
    Pat (82 gs1100gk)

wgcarbs.com. Get the best job, not the cheapest price, you get what you pay for. If they arent too bad, consider doing them yourself with spray carb cleaner, one at a time. Figure in cost of air filter boots if they are hard

Comment

Most hard starting problems are due to neglected valve clearance adjustment, have you checked yours yet?

Do the carbs yourself, they are simple.

Not sure I understand your problem, it needs choke to start, then it revs up too high with the choke on?
      That's normal on these bikes, that's how they run.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
        wgcarbs.com. Get the best job, not the cheapest price, you get what you pay for. If they arent too bad, consider doing them yourself with spray carb cleaner, one at a time. Figure in cost of air filter boots if they are hard
        George Wired charges $360 + shipping to rebuild a set of Mikuni BS carbs. You can do it yourself with a $15 O-ring kit from cycleorings.com, a bucket of carb dip (about $20), and maybe some float bowl gaskets if yours are torn.

The process is quite easy; just follow the tutoral on the GSR homepage.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Rebuild

If you take the carbs off of the bike, rebuild them and put them back on, I think you'll agree that rebuilding them was the most enjoyable part of the process.

The only time you'll get frustrated, angry, dejected and confused is when you're putting them back on (which you've got to do, anyway, if you send them off to someone else). Rebuilding them is easy and kind of fun....plus you'll know it's been done right.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post

Spray carb cleaner is only good to get the job started. IF IT ISN'T DIPPED IT'S NOT CLEAN!

Dip them once and do the job once, spay em do the job twice, once sprayed, then one more time dipped because the spray clean never worked.
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
              If you take the carbs off of the bike, rebuild them and put them back on, I think you'll agree that rebuilding them was the most enjoyable part of the process.

The only time you'll get frustrated, angry, dejected and confused is when you're putting them back on (which you've got to do, anyway, if you send them off to someone else). Rebuilding them is easy and kind of fun....plus you'll know it's been done right.
              Pretty easy on a GK, the airbox fits correctly and everything.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Pretty easy on a GK, the airbox fits correctly and everything.
                Yup, pulling and replacing carbs in a shaftie is easy-peasy. 10 minutes if you're slow.

Agreed with all here -- there's nothing scary about carbs. Download the PDF of the carb cleanup series and follow the instructions.

Your carbs are exactly the same as the ones in the PDF except they're a touch bigger, which makes exactly no difference.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Rebuilding the carbs is only part of the job.. Need to check the intake boots & replace the O rings. Carb sync, valve adj, electrical check- proper voltage on coils, and charging operation. ALL can effect how the bike runs. DO it yourself it is not that difficult, just take your time.
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2009, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Besides, that's why we're all here.

Carbs are an easy job. Follow the tutorial, be organized, label the parts and pieces, be careful removing the float pins and save yourself a ton of cash !!!!
                    Maybe it's just me, but I'd love to work on that beauuutiful GK. Nice ride.

I think I'm starting to have a thing for the mighty GK's.........
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

thanks

thanks for all your replies

Not sure I understand your problem, it needs choke to start, then it revs up too high with the choke on?

yes but to choke it all the time to start it??i know they rev up with the choke on.what i was asking was why it had to be choked every time to start

the electrical stuff is all good it better be after last year,,im in the process of looking for intake boots(waiting on local dealer for price) and when i do take them out i will replace everything that needs to be..the intake boots now are not really hard and i dont see any cracks but thats just looking from the outside

after following the tutorial on the stator pages and help from the forum it was very easy i may just do it myself will make the wife happeir then spending money at these tight times lol

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                        Besides, that's why we're all here.

Carbs are an easy job. Follow the tutorial, be organized, label the parts and pieces, be careful removing the float pins and save yourself a ton of cash !!!!
                        Maybe it's just me, but I'd love to work on that beauuutiful GK. Nice ride.

I think I'm starting to have a thing for the mighty GK's.........
                        thanks larry it is a beautiful bike but now it is black with silver pin stripes and some silver trim pieces.i had to change it cause there was another one in town that looked exactly like mine and i wasnt having that lol

Comment

I know it made a big difference on my '93 gsx1100g when I adjusted the fuel adjustment screws under the carbs. I read that factory setting was 1 1/2 turns out, but that was to pass emissions. I set mine at 2 1/2 and hardly have to use the choke.

Comment

Originally posted by ny_redneck04 View Post

yes but to choke it all the time to start it??i know they rev up with the choke on.what i was asking was why it had to be choked every time to start
                            Yes, it's quite 'normal' to use at least some "choke" when starting. Some have reported rather minimal use of the knob/lever after adjusting the mixture screws out considerably from the factory-set location, but some of them also live in areas where the weather is warmer and they can ride year-round, too. For those of us that still experience "seasons" in our weather patterns, some "choke" use is still required.

When I did my wife's carbs, I adjusted the mixture screws for best idle, and they ended up about 2 1/4 turns out. We use about 1/2 "choke" to start the bike, then quickly regulate engine speed with the "choke" lever to keep it under 2000 rpm. It's stable within a few seconds, then put on the helmet, get on the bike and ride. By the time we are out the driveway and into second gear, the "choke" is off. Your carbs can end up pretty much like that, too, with proper adjustment.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                            X