Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve clearances

Hey all,

Checked my valve clearances while waiting for my carb boots, and was surprised that after more than 10,000 miles everything was still in spec.

The one odd reading was on intake #2 which seemed to increase from 2.5 to 3 thousandths.

I was using a different feeler gauge (bought my own since the last adjustment), but has anyone had an experience like this - long wear and an occasional growing clearance?

Just curious, thanks!

Sounds about right to me. If this is not the first valve set that the bike has had, you're right on the money. Change oil often do ya?
    As far as the +.5, were it me...I'de reshim that one back 2.5 and let her buck!

Comment

How many miles on the engine?

I have noticed that there will be a bit of 'settling in' of valve clearances for a while, then they won't change very much for a while.
      Yours are evidently in the 'settled' phase.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

@Steve

I'm at around 46k - so "settled phase" seems reasonable.

@Dave

Maybe I do. I was changing it every 2k until I switched to synthetic this summer and upped the interval to 3k. I'd be surprised if the valves weren't original, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
          @Steve

I'm at around 46k - so "settled phase" seems reasonable.

@Dave

Maybe I do. I was changing it every 2k until I switched to synthetic this summer and upped the interval to 3k. I'd be surprised if the valves weren't original, though.
          Not much will wear if you are running good synthetic oil.
          Others will disagree, but that's been my experience.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sometimes the valve clearances don't change between service intervals. As a pretty extreme example, I've just done some work on a mate's 92 Yam 600 Diversion - 83K on the clock and valve clearances never checked before - ever. (His ride-to-work old dog that he has neglected since he bought it new - I don't think he's ever cleaned it either). Same set up as a GS and still didn't need any replacement shims and it's only been run on the cheapest oil.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

OK, cool fella's - thanks for the feedback. Now I can stop thinking about my valves for another few thousand miles.

BTW, great service from Real Gaskets. My gasket was showing signs of cracking, and I sent pics to Real. Chris shipped me a replacement right away, asking only that I ship him the old one for inspection.

Comment

The shim type valves tend to stay in adjustment longer than the screw and locknut type...then again, I've gone well over 10k on a Concours and that much on multiple Guzzis with no change.
                Keep clean oil in it and don't spin it to redline all the time or get it real hot and you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                X