Would these affect handling any??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would these affect handling any??

With the 550 being all cleaned up (or will be shortly) and nice looking, I really loathe putting an inspection sticker right onto (what will be) the pretty forks.

So, that being said, does anyone use the following or similar, and if so does it affect handling in any way?

If not would anyone be concerned with them affecting handling?

Amos

(I probably won't spit the cash out for either option, but may see what I could fab up on my own down at the local hardware store, but you get the idea)

Thank God we don't have the inspections here, but I can't see how it would affect the handeling of the bike. Even a set of hard bags doesn't throw off the balance so a little tag catching some extra air will in my opinion...have no effect on the bike. Some mount their plates vertical on the left side of the bike and I've ridden them and felt no difference (other than the hard tail spine killer) compared to other bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      Thank God we don't have the inspections here, but I can't see how it would affect the handeling of the bike. Even a set of hard bags doesn't throw off the balance so a little tag catching some extra air will in my opinion...have no effect on the bike. Some mount their plates vertical on the left side of the bike and I've ridden them and felt no difference (other than the hard tail spine killer) compared to other bikes.

I can see the point.. however, the tag catching a little air is in the steering department, and the steering is a little less rigid than the rear where hard bags and the side mounted plates are mounted.

Amos

Comment

Point made. If you're worried, take off one of the mirrors and go for a ride. I doubt that you'll feel any difference as once the bike is in motion, it wants to go straight. Think of it this way: When you stretch a knee out while in the middle of a long ride...have you ever felt the bike pull hard to that side?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
          Point made. If you're worried, take off one of the mirrors and go for a ride. I doubt that you'll feel any difference as once the bike is in motion, it wants to go straight.

Very true.. I think I'll have to stop by the old hardware store and see what is available to fabricate something up.

Amos

Comment

On all my bikes, as soon as they put on the inspection sticker, I remove it and place it on my registration paper.

If (and that's a big if) I ever get hasseled about not having it, I just pull out my registration paperwork and say that the sticker came off during a bad rain and lost it's stick.
            1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Mississippi inspection stickers used to be the same as for cars.... for placement INSIDE a windshield .

Not having a fairing on my bike, I used a scap piece of clear plexiglass, trimmed to about 2½" X 3", drilled a hole and mounted it on the crossmember of the frame downtubes (just below the tank near the horn) where a threaded hole already existed.

It never accurred to me that it might effect handling. If it did, I didn't notice.

(Don't ask where I got the plexiglass.... this was AT LEAST 10 years ago )
              sigpic
              1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
              2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

I can't imagine what speed you would need to be traveling for that size frontal surface to have a noticeable effect on handling. Motorcycles are very dirty with regard to their aerodynamics anyway. It looks about the size of a GPS unit that a lot of riders mount on their handlebar.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Texas

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                  I can't imagine what speed you would need to be traveling for that size frontal surface to have a noticeable effect on handling. Motorcycles are very dirty with regard to their aerodynamics anyway. It looks about the size of a GPS unit that a lot of riders mount on their handlebar.
                  Here in Texas the inspection sticker has to be mounted on the back, visible from the rear and no more than 1 inch from the tag. So, every dealer in Texas sells a backing plate for the tag that extends down and extra 3 inches or so. Can't possibly affect handling back there. Won't work if your state requires it be on the front...but it works for Texas.

Comment

Inspection sticker plates are illegal. No shop will put it on a plate when you get an inspection. Because technically you can just unbolt it and give it to someone else. Front left frame or fork here in NY. Unless you know the guy good, wink wink.

Comment

Working...
                    X