Gs1000s Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1000s Battery

Just wondering if any of you have tried a Gel Battery is it a good idea or not i ask
    if so which make do I use.

Steve, I've never had one but a mate swears by his. I think he's got one fitted on all 3 of his bikes (definitely on his BMW and his BSA). He's an infrequent rider (only a few hundred miles last year) but his bikes always start ok - never has a flat battery and they've been fitted for a few years now (over 3 at least). I've no idea of the make but he paid around £60 saying they were well worth it.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

What you are asking about is mistakenly called a "gel battery", but is not really filled with "gel". You are likely inquiring about a sealed AGM battery. That's "Absorbed Glass Mat" battery. True gel-filled batteries don't have quite the capacity to crank over an engine, so would not be a good choice for a long-lasting battery. The AGM batteries are a wonderful choice, however. I have them in all my bikes and recommend them whenever I can. Besides having a higher cranking capacity, they are sealed and can usually be used in any position except upside down, lending themselves to custom projects that might require battery relocation. Given proper care (kept clean and charged), they will typically last a couple of years longer than a "wet" battery. I just changed out the battery on my Wing that was six years old and had been in use for over 100,000 miles. It might have finished out the season, but I was headed out of state for four weeks and figured I would rather get a battery on my terms, not the bike's.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Gs1000s Battery

Thanks for the replys.
        please keep them coming ?.

Comment

I have the battery from a 2006 GSXR 750 in my GS1000 which has an overbore kit and lumpier cams than stock. It turns over and starts the bike with no issues. The AGM battery is much lighter and smaller than its stock cousin, can be mounted sideways, and it will never leak acid or require any maintenance.

Comment

I was having all sorts of hassles starting my 'S especially when the weather was real cool.Put in a Deka AGM and have had no trouble since.Some of the best money I've spent.Do it old mate.You'll notice the difference straight away.You need to get the correct size (physically)as there are several million sizes,and also get the terminals with the right configuration.Believe it or not you can get the + and - almost anywhere on the battery that you require.Cheers,Simon.
            Last edited by simon kuether; 01-22-2009, 07:23 PM.
            http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

my 03 SV came stock with a sealed AGM battery and it is still cranking it over nice and fast over 5 years later.

Comment

I have Westco AGM batteries in my FZ1 and 1100ez. Not sure if I bought direct. Price seems to have gone up a little. Might want to do a Google search for WESTCO or other AGM retailers. Sometimes the internet retailers have better pricing. Same is true for Battery Tender. Resellers are much cheaper.

Its nice not having to worry about the water level.

Comment

Working...
                X