'79 GS1000 head gasket replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    What brand of head gasket failed, and what type of gasket was it - fiber composite, MLS, or ?.

I recently bought a gasket kit for my 1000 and went with Athena because they use a MLS head gasket that has a skim layer of viton rubber on top and bottom. Fingers crossed that the seal is going to be OK. Cost for the entire kit was $65 shipped vs. $70 for a Suzuki head gasket alone.
    I must have bought the same kit. I looked in my shop, and the head gasket was from an Athena gasket set, and it was an MLS type. ...I had the same thinking on price... I did find a NOS Suzuki head gasket on ebay for $20 which i'm using this time around. I don't know, however, that the head gasket is to blame. When I put the top-end back together, the rubber o-ring (actually rectangular) that seals around where the cam chain comes through the block was a bit smaller than the groove it was supposed to fit in, and it kept popping out of the groove. It is possible that it may have popped out of the groove again as I set the head back on, and that could be my source of oil leakage. Other than the O-ring problem, I have been very happy with the gasket set.

Comment

Originally posted by sdbuchert View Post
      I must have bought the same kit. I looked in my shop, and the head gasket was from an Athena gasket set, and it was an MLS type. ...I had the same thinking on price... I did find a NOS Suzuki head gasket on ebay for $20 which i'm using this time around. I don't know, however, that the head gasket is to blame. When I put the top-end back together, the rubber o-ring (actually rectangular) that seals around where the cam chain comes through the block was a bit smaller than the groove it was supposed to fit in, and it kept popping out of the groove. It is possible that it may have popped out of the groove again as I set the head back on, and that could be my source of oil leakage. Other than the O-ring problem, I have been very happy with the gasket set.

The Athena gasket kit that I have does not have the rectangular O-ring that goes around the cam chain cavity. The MLS type gasket is supposed to seal abound the channel all by itself. Have to admit, I'm a little concern...
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        The Athena gasket kit that I have does not have the rectangular O-ring that goes around the cam chain cavity. The MLS type gasket is supposed to seal abound the channel all by itself. Have to admit, I'm a little concern...
        hmmm. Well, I could be wrong about the head gasket. It is out of an Athena kit that I bought about 2 years ago, and as I remember the gasket was layered steel. I don't know for sure, however, that it had viton rubber on it. I probably wont get to tearing it apart for another month and a half, but i'll let you know what I find when I do tear into it...

Comment

Hit or miss on the base gasket. I've had them leak and I haven't. I've done head work soon after a top rebuild and didn't change the base gasket. I only use Suzuki base gaskets.
          If you pull the cylinder you will distrub the rings. A good hone is in order. I personally would replace the rings unless they are like new.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It has been discussed in great length before If your head gasket covers the chain tunnel ? you should be fine

Comment

Working...
            X