More carb questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Spyder;946163]Ok,

I see the term bench sync. but, what's the procedure? what are you syncing up, and to what spec?

-> When they talk about bench synch they mean using a usually round guage to measure the gap between the bottom of the barrel of the carb and the throttle plate. Sometimes there are specs for this gap, and sometimes not. The idea is to make sure all the throttle plates are open exactly the same amount prior to installation so that the actual vacuum sync goes more smoothly.
    In automotive in my experience one is taught to look at the relationship between the edge of the throttle plate and the hole in the throttle bore which lets gas in at idle. Sometimes there are pictures in service manuals which tell you what you are looking for. My bike has such a picture but I have no idea whether yours does.
    In any case, setting the throttle plates of all the carbs on an engine to the same place in relation to any known fixed point, and knowing what that point means, will go a long way to making vacuum synching a carb a pleasure rather than a pita. If you know how it should look in relation to the idle inlet, so much the better.
    S

Comment

Here's what I used when I bench synced mine.

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks guys. All of this sounds complicated but seems easy enough. Are there any of you in the Chicago region, maybe willing to physicaly help and or do this carb build? I don't have the greatest carberated track record.

Comment

Hey Spyder, what part of Chicago are you at???

I MUST have a worst record with carbs than you do. Believe me when I tell you that they are very easy to do (of course I haven't gotten to the sync part yet :0) I guess the hardest part is taking them apart (screws that don't come out etc) then all you have to do is, basically, adjust the float.

If you still haven't taken them apart, you could take one part. by the time you are done, you'll probably decide you can do them.

And, if there is no one more experienced than I am in this area, I will help you (I am right by Devon and Clark:0)

Comment

Hey cruz, I'm down in Bradley. It's down 57 by Kankakee.

Hey Chef, I accidentally deleted your message. Please resend it.

Comment

Working...
            X