Tires or Tyres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires or Tyres?

Any tire recommendations for what is best to run on the rear of my 1983 1100g?
    Any tires I should avoid?

Originally posted by Marine36 View Post
    Any tire recommendations for what is best to run on the rear of my 1983 1100g?
    Any tires I should avoid?
    What do you want?
    great handling?
    last forever?
    Cheap price?

Avon Roadriders AM 26 is my favorite. So far.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I want it all. Above all I want a safe handling tire.

Comment

Avon Roadriders, AM26. Absolutely what you said.

Comment

Another vote for the Avon AM26 RoadRiders.

If you're doing track days, the Pirelli Sport Demons have about .05% more stick, but they're short-lived and expensive.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Another vote for the Avon AM26 RoadRiders.

If you're doing track days, the Pirelli Sport Demons have about .05% more stick, but they're short-lived and expensive.
            .05%???
            Is your butt-dyno that tight?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              .05%???
              Is your butt-dyno that tight?
              Well, it could vary between .07% and .03%, I guess...
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

No track days in my future. My butt-dyno says 70 mph is plenty fast.Oh I'm sorry that was my chicken@$^@ o-meter.

Comment

I have used Dunlop 404s in the past. And I have heard a bunch of good about BT-45s from bridgestone. Both of these are available locally. Any thoughts

Comment

I just replaced my rear tire with a Dunlop 404, it's got very deep treads which is what i wanted for better rain handling.

They don't make that tire in a 100 or 110 size 16 for front so i'll be going with 501's when these wear out.

So far it handles great much better than the metzler perfect me77 i had on it.

Don't recomend this tire for serious twisties though, touring it's a great tire for!

Comment

Dunlop 404's wear fast so don't expect much out of them mileage wise. Other than that they seem to handle well enough and they certainly are cheap.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have been addicted to G models for 28 years now and the best tire set I have found, all around, is Continental--Conti-Tour on the back, Conti-Blitz on the front.

They handle great and I get 13-15,000 miles from a set. I don't ride slowly but I don't do drag race starts or heavy braking into turns. Those are what wear your rubber out.
                        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Dunlop 404's wear fast so don't expect much out of them mileage wise. Other than that they seem to handle well enough and they certainly are cheap.
                          That's a good thing in my book, once i found out i could not get a front in the same model i was dissapointed. So the sooner it wears out the better then i can finally get a matching set!

Comment

If you are not a super aggressive rider (and do some two-up riding) check out the Dunlop Elite 3. high load rating, decent handling, long wear, mid range price....

Comment

I'll second the suggestion for the Elite 3.

I have had two sets on my Wing, and have installed a third set. Even with the Wing's greater weight, I get 21-23,000 miles out of a set with no problems. I was going to put a set of E3s on my wife's 850L last summer, but the tire shop I visit was out of her sizes. Got another set of Cheng Shin Hi-Max tires for her. They are also good tires, especially considering their price. They lasted about 14,000 miles on her 850, and a pair of them is just over $100.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X