Re-wire problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-wire problem.

So i have an 81 gs1100 that has been runnning great but wasn't charging my battery, so this weekend i finally decided to dive into the wiring to figure this out, and it turns out that my one of my alternator wires was bad, after replacing that i ended up buying a new battery, moving my fuse box, reg/rec, and starter relay, as well as cleaned up my wiring getting rid of a lot of stuff, i didn't need anymore since i am basically running the bare minimum ie. headlight, tailight, brakelight, starter, and rerouted others to a more practical area.
    That being said, my problem now is that after all this has been done, my bike is not idling properly, it starts fine, but will not idle and if i try and ride it, it dogs really bad. I typically don't like wiring and i tried to be as carefull as i could, referencing diagrams every chance i had, i'm just not sure what could be causing this.

Any help would be greatly apreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2009, 02:09 AM.

Ryan welcome on Board!!

I think the first place I would start would be checking all your Gorund connections you might have left one off or cut it thinking it was not needed.
    Second one you might try would be to isolate the different circuits. Try pulling different fuses. One at a time to see if you could narrow it down that way (ie.) pull the fuse for you lights start it up & see if it idles any better then go from there. I know it sound not right because you are not blowing any fuse's but giv it a try.

Pat

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. Ryan,

Please click here to receive your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I have been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Thanks for joining us and don't forget, we like pictures. Not you, your bike!

I hate to say this, but if it was running great before all the wiring work, you'll have to check and triple check all the work you did - cleaning up connections, checking chassis grounds, insulating any bare or unused wires so they're not shorting out, etc. Are the coil wires or spark plug wires arcing against the frame? Have you checked the plug caps? Also check that you didn't pinch your choke cable or anything else associated with the carbs. How are your carb intake boots and O-rings? Have you developed leaks in the air intake system? That's about all the suggestions my feeble mind can come up with right now. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well i got it figured out, i had to untape all the wiring but, i found one connector that wasn't doing its job, and Wah-la, runnin like a champ again.
        -thanks a alot guys, as i said i'm not much for electrical work and after i got done with this little job and it wasn't running properly i went into, Oh god what have i done!?!? mode. but alls well now.

Comment

Great New's let's see a Pic of the Bike.

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity Tester View Post
            Great New's let's see a Pic of the Bike.

Pat
            uh heheh, my bike, you see its sort of a work in progress, and while i love her, she ain't really the prettiest thing to look at right now, i don't even have a seat on it (which trips people out wondering how i ride it around with nowhere to sit). once i get a little further along i'll certainly post some pictures up.

Comment

Pat on the back

Hi Mr. Ryan,

Thanks for the update. Nice work!

We like "before" and "after" pictures of your "work in progress". We enjoy the process.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X