Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping Handlebars

Hello All,

I'm considering swapping handlebars on my GS550L. Is it a difficult job? Time consuming? Any pointers or tips would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Hakan Uras
    huras@engin.umich.edu

What kind of swap are you wanting to do exactly? As far as swapping to another set of clamp types then it shouldn't be a
    problem at all. If your wanting to go with clipons then you'll
    have to invest in shorter cables. Brian

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm actually switching from standard type handlebars to pull backs. I used to have the pull backs and I want them back...

Is it only a matter of removing the grips from the handlebars by undoing the two vertical nuts & bolts holding them on and then removing the handlebars from the frame by unbolting the two shackles holding the handlebars to the bike?

Comment

That's just about all there is to it. Loosen up the bolts securing the controls first then remove the handlebars from the bike. With the handlebars off the bike you will have an easier time removing the controls. You will want to make sure that your cables are long enough for the new handlebars. You don't want to pinch any cables or have them too tight.
        One other thing you may encounter. When I replaced my stock handlebars on my gs650, the handle bars had a hole drilled in each side. This hole matched up with a pin in the controls that kept them from twisting. I just ground that pin down flat with a dremmel tool, but you could also try drilling the same hole. Use your old bars for reference.

Comment

Remove the gas tank, or cover it with a thick blanket before you start. IT's easy to scratch or ding the tank if you aren't very very careful

Comment

Working...
          X