spline pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
    After installing the new spline, I got a chance to road test it today. Everything seems fine, maybe notice a little less lash in shifts too. Interesting though, is that now I can shift into neutral much easier when parking and at stops. NO, I don't normally put it into neutral at lights or when on the road. But the G was always trickier to find neutral than the E.
    Mine was always hard to find neutral on when it was hot. I would have to shift up to second and then back into neutral. I wonder if its just a clunky "G" tranny thing or if it was just happenstance. The ES is nowhere near as difficult to get into neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Mine was always hard to find neutral on when it was hot. I would have to shift up to second and then back into neutral. I wonder if its just a clunky "G" tranny thing or if it was just happenstance. The ES is nowhere near as difficult to get into neutral.
      Exactly...when the G warms up, but today even after warm up with the new spline installed, I could find neutral without any problems...???

Comment

I've thunk and I've thunk about this until my thinker is sore, and the best I can come up with is that the speed fluctuations inside the transmission are now rattling the internal gears around (as designed) instead of rattling the rear spline back and forth.

This would make it easier to find neutral.

You might have to think about this for a while, too, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          I've thunk and I've thunk about this until my thinker is sore, and the best I can come up with is that the speed fluctuations inside the transmission are now rattling the internal gears around (as designed) instead of rattling the rear spline back and forth.

This would make it easier to find neutral.

You might have to think about this for a while, too, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.
          Actually, that was what I was thinking, but couldn't verbalize it as you did. I understood exactly what you said right away, so that makes me on the same plane as you. Now whether that is a sign of intelligence or being just as "mentally off" is the question?

Comment

Follow up...I wound up with another set of wheels off an '80 850G and have another black color, very good condition spline in hand. Since I've already replaced my worn gold colored one and may never need to replace, I thought I'd offer it up at half the price of a new one plus shipping to someone else before theirs fails. Here are pics after I cleaned it up real good, maybe too clean so you can see any flaws. Very good shape(see pics from top and bottom views), just shiny metal where the contact surfaces are. Will probably last you a lifetime on your 1100G or 850G. PM me if interested. I would have put this in the For Sale section, except this is one of those technical problems that keeps coming up for us shafty owners. Hope you don't mind.

Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2009, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X