Wheel/Sprocket bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel/Sprocket bearings

I just disassembled my rear wheel hub and noticed that the brake disk side bearing has a distinct notched feeling when I spin it. The other side and the sprocket bearing seem pretty smooth. Should I replace all 3? And do you guys have any suggestions for the bearings?

Will just any old kit off of eBay do?

I would change all 3 just on principal. Check with any of the parts vendors
    Z1enterprises.com or take the brg #s to local brg supply for replacement

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      I would change all 3 just on principal. Check with any of the parts vendors
      Z1enterprises.com or take the brg #s to local brg supply for replacement
      Ditto as above. Lynn has hit the nail on the head again. Common sense thing to do. Z1 wont do you wrong. Good prices, quick delivery and service.

Comment

bearings are generally bearings...there's only a few actual manufacturers out there and they're a pretty simple, solid piece...so I would worry too much about brand. Z1 is quick and has good prices, but you can find them on eBay for less...you can find them online, off eBay, for even less.

Comment

Just go to your local bearing house and ask for the best quality in that size. The bearing guy will go off the little numbers along the outer race.

Why pay shipping for something you can just go buy?

If you don't have a bearing house in Medford, let me know. PDX has several (you did say you come up here regularly?)
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Pdx

Yes Big T,
            I'm in Portland for a day or two every couple of months. Maybe I'll get a chance to meet you before the NW States run...

I also have a daughter going to college up in Puget Sound, I'm looking forward to a ride up there when the bike is done and the weather allows.

I should be able to find bearings down here but I'll get some info from you on PDX if I can't.

Comment

Rubber seals?

Say, my bike only had the rubber dust seal on the sprocket side. Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Phaseman View Post
                Say, my bike only had the rubber dust seal on the sprocket side. Is that correct?
                That's how the OEM bearings are, but aftermarket bearings will have seals on both sides.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Phaseman View Post
                  Yes Big T,
                  I'm in Portland for a day or two every couple of months. Maybe I'll get a chance to meet you before the NW States run...

I also have a daughter going to college up in Puget Sound, I'm looking forward to a ride up there when the bike is done and the weather allows.

I should be able to find bearings down here but I'll get some info from you on PDX if I can't.

Okay, I know a couple of good bearing places here in town. Also, on your tire post, there's a great discount tire place in NE PDX, Motorcycle Tire and Wheel. Weird old bikes dudes, but he'll get you the tire you want and mount and balance it for a good price. Don't forget you need a tube ,also.
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It's worth remembering that in a motorcycle wheel, these bearings are turning much more slowly and are much more lightly loaded than they're designed for.

Contamination and improper installation will kill them, but they're otherwise pretty dang durable, and it makes little difference where they were made.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Decision made!

Went with SqDancerLynn1 and Suzuki Don's original suggestion... Z1 Enterprises.

Local guys couldn't match the price and they had good prices on some other stuff I needed.

Thanks All!

Comment

Working...
                      X