Rear tire suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear tire suggestions...

Looks like it's time for a new rear tire on my 78' GS1000E. I'm on a budget but I don't want bad tires. any suggestions?

Also does anyone know what the max size/width it will take with the stock swing arm?

I love my Pirreli MT 66. Not a bad price either.
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Hi,

This link should work. It's an advanced title search of the Tech Section for "tires". Just about everything you'd ever want to know.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Value leaders seem to be Cheng Shin HiMax the Kenda Challanger. Lots of positive word of mouth about the HiMax. My 850 used to have Kenda's and they seemed fine to me.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Don't go wider than 130. Your wheel is too narrow for anything wider.
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Current Tires...

Right now the bikes got a Metzler 3.5 19" in the front and a Dunlop Elite SP 130/90 17" 62v in the rear.

As I recall, I had about a 1/4" clearance on each side of the rear tire toward the front narrow part of the swing arm. I'd like to go as wide as possible in the rear. I'd REALLY like to convert to one of the aluminum swings like I've seen done so often on here, but don't think I can handle the investment this year. I assume that the swing conversion gets you more width availability...

Comment

Originally posted by Phaseman View Post

I'd like to go as wide as possible in the rear. I'd REALLY like to convert to one of the aluminum swings like I've seen done so often on here, but don't think I can handle the investment this year. I assume that the swing conversion gets you more width availability...

Nope, you have to convert to a wider wheel first. Your rear wheel is probably a WM 3 and you can't go wider than the 130 on that without distorting the tire and ruining your handling.

So, it's wider swingarm, wider wheel, wider tire -plus spacers, brake adapters, shimming out the front sprocket, etc.
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Oh well...

Maybe next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Value leaders seem to be Cheng Shin HiMax the Kenda Challanger. Lots of positive word of mouth about the HiMax. My 850 used to have Kenda's and they seemed fine to me.

It may be that the Challengers I had on the 550 were just really old, but once I got onto the 650 with different tires the Challengers felt like banana peels in comparison.

I am currently running the HiMax tires on the 650, and they seem to be better than the 3+ year rubber they replaced.

For the 550 I went with a suggestion of IRC DuoTours, which cost just a little more than the HiMax tires, but still came in at around $153 shipped (oh, yeah, that is for the pair..). Dunno personally how they ride yet (hopefully find out tomorrow.. though in the cold I'm sure I won't get a really good feel, esp as it will be a maiden voyage on the rubber as well)

Amos
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2009, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Round things

Hi Mr. Phaseman,

Looks like the search link I posted earlier has timed out. Sorry.

But I wanted to let you know that I've been using the Bridgestone Spitfire S-11 tires on my bike and have been quite happy with them. I'm a fairly conservative rider, mostly commuting, but these tires also allow me to scrape things on the canyon roads when I want to. My front tire currently has 15K miles on it and still has tread. My rear tire has 9K miles and looks like it could go another 3K to 4K miles, but I had to plug it recently. The tire is still working great but I'll replace the set next week. I think the S-11 tires are pretty good "bang for your buck", not as much "bang for your buck" as the Cheng Shin HiMax, but I hear those are starting to get scarce since being discontinued.

I think the 130 is as wide as you should go with the stock swingarm/wheel.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2009, 04:09 PM.

Comment

IIRC Cheng Shin has ceased production of motorcycle tires. Anything you get now might be somewhat dated as the warehouses are cleared.

Comment

My vote is for Avon AM26 RoadRiders.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Zook View Post
                          IIRC Cheng Shin has ceased production of motorcycle tires. ...
                          Actually, what we heard about that is that they are discontinuing motorcycle street tires.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Bias or radial?

Probably a silly question if motorcycle tires are similar to car tires, but you don't see many bias plys advertised for cars anymore...

What's the scoop on Bias Ply vs Radials?

Comment

Originally posted by Phaseman View Post
                              Probably a silly question if motorcycle tires are similar to car tires, but you don't see many bias plys advertised for cars anymore...

What's the scoop on Bias Ply vs Radials?
                              Nobody makes radials skinny enough for our old wheels.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X