Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb Air Screws....if they strip..how can you get them out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Air Screws....if they strip..how can you get them out?

Hap/Tim (or anyone else,

Any idea how to get a stripped air screw out? The one I'm trying to unscrew isn't completely stripped...but it's close to being "unscrewable".

Should I use an "easy-out" drill bit to get this thing out? At this point, I don't care if I destroy it. I can always order some more.

Thanks

Rudi

YIKES

I recently rebuilt an extra set of carbs and had the same problem. The reason it happens is because the threads are very fine and the threads above the screw (the thread you need to bring the screw up through) are exposed to the elements and get filled with grit. You might try putting oil or WD-40 on a Q-tip and trying to clean the threads. I would suggest you screw them back in a couple of turns (but not too far!) before you do that.

If that doesn't work and you strip them out...I think an "EZ out" would be your only choice...and it WILL work. Just make sure you use the correct size and try really hard to get it centered. Good luck!!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Rudi, from my experiance it is much easier to take them to a machine shop and have them drill them out. I had one strip on me and I broke two drill bits trying to drill it enough to use an easy out. The machine shop only charged me $5 to drill it out saved me a lot of headaches, and didn't even have to retap the threads. The air screws are a hardened steel and very hard to drill without a drill press and vice. Anyway just my $.02 worht.

Comment

Do like rudi says.

I would listen to rudi. The air screw will be hard to work on. The soft metal of the carb body wont take the preasure if you really apply tourque to the screw. I tried to use an easy out to get a pilot jet out. The throat of the carb body split as soon as the easy out grabed and began to tourque it out. Lucky for me I was only messing around with a junk set I used for tear down expierience.

Comment

Oops.

Did I say Rudi. I meant DGeorge.

Comment

Me too

I also agree with Dgeorge...I think his advice was better than mine! :roll:
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
            X