Clutch Cable breaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Cable breaking

I keep breaking clutch cables at the end that attaches to the clutch lever. I can't figure it out. I see no burs on the lever and the lever isn't sloppy. Any idea's??? I've went through three cables in three months. The clutch isn't hard to pull in either. Oh yea it's a 81 GS450 T

Help!

Bob L.

Are you greasing the bearing at the end of the cable? Is the little plastic bushing in there correctly? If the cable end doesn't rotate freely in the hole, it bends the wire every time the lever is pulled right where it leaves the round cable end, it will break quickly.
    Get in there and make sure it is free to rotate when the lever is pulled.
    Last edited by tkent02; 01-22-2009, 08:44 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

How about the adjuster at the lever? Is it smooth?
      How's your cable routing? Post up a picture.

Clutch cables should only break about every 15 years. Mine's been in place since about 1982.
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I don't understand what you mean by plastic bushing??? Are you talking about the metal end of the cable housing?? It has a lead barrell shape like end on the cable. When I go to replace the next one I will make sure I grease it. I don't find any binding on the cable. The adjustment screw at the top works smoothly.

Comment

Are you breaking factory cables or aftermarket?
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

They are OEM I believe as I got them from the dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS View Post
              I don't understand what you mean by plastic bushing??? Are you talking about the metal end of the cable housing?? It has a lead barrell shape like end on the cable. When I go to replace the next one I will make sure I grease it. I don't find any binding on the cable. The adjustment screw at the top works smoothly.

When the barrel shaped end of the cable fits into the clutch lever it should be surrounded by an little plastic sleve...that reduces friction so the cable end can rotate inside the clutch lever. That's what kent is talking about. If you don't know about it, then it's not there, and that is your problem.

Comment

thanks! When I go back to the dealer and get a new cable I'll ask about it.

Comment

Take a good look at the cable adjuster at the handle perch. My brother's higher mileage 1000g had worn a groove in the adjuster. This groove formed a sharp edge that would literally cut the cable. After we retrofitted a 650 clutch cable on to his, I noticed his worn adjuster. He was going through a cable a year also. Stick with OEM, they tend to usually last longer.

Comment

You have to grease the barrel before you stick it into the handle and lube up the cable before installing it. Also you need to be sure that the barrel is sitting at the right depth in the handle so the cable doesn't bind on the edges of the hole and flex. The flexing is what causes it to break.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
                      You have to grease the barrel before you stick it into the handle and lube up the cable before installing it. Also you need to be sure that the barrel is sitting at the right depth in the handle so the cable doesn't bind on the edges of the hole and flex. The flexing is what causes it to break.
                      Yes, this.

Get a new OEM clutch lever, too -- it's quite likely that the hole the cable fits in is misshapen and not allowing the barrel at the end of the cable to rotate correctly. A clutch lever is maybe $10, if that.

Also, order a new OEM (Suzuki) clutch lever and cable this time -- don't let them stick you with the Motion Pro garbage.

A 450 clutch cable should last, well, pretty much forever.

You won't need to lube an OEM cable -- they come already lubed. (Motion Crappo cables are sold dry...) You will still need a wee dab of grease on the barrel and lever.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

make sure they are not selling you motion pro cables!!!

they don't make the cables as good as they used to but the one Suzuki sells now is the best one available.

Comment

I go down to the bicycle shop for my cables...

Comment

Working...
                          X