spark problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spark problems

I put another advance unit in and set my points but i get weak or intermitent spark at the points and very little at the plugs.
    its a 78 gs550

spark

reading other posts regarding spark problems, what is the ignitor and how would i tell if mine is bad? then ther was a post about putting a relay in so your battery gives alot of juice to the coil, what kind of relay and where would it go?

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...highlight=coil this one has all the stuff about it

those threads will clue you in, I put my relay in a gap under the rear of my gas tank...worked great

in a nut shell you wire a 4 prong | 5 if you want the headlight to go off when you hit the starter button you relay.

those will give you the info you need.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-24-2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

If you have points, you don't have the ignitors.
        The points were used until probably the 1980 models, then they went with the electronic ignition using ignitors.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

*slaps head* wow... I should have known that one...

Comment

spaks

ok i have some pictures of stuff, the brown stuff on the bottom of my coil is that normal? or good? its kinda like glue, I dont see a crack anywhere, but it may have one under the brown stuff.

I am not sure what these parts do I know one of them is the silver one is for the solonoid for the starter.. I dont know what the black thing does above the nippendenso relay thing, or what it is for. would any of these have something to do with my no spark problem.

I have my pistons at TDC. where are my points supposed to be? now there both 1-4 open 2-3 open, and no spark , no spark at plungs

Comment

is this good whats on the bottom of my coikl?

Comment

That coil is junk.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X