Pennsylvania Inspection...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pennsylvania Inspection...

Okay, I know there are at least a few folk here from Penn's Woods. Can anyone tell me the things I need to check to make sure that this bike is going to pass inspection once I get it running. I assume dumb stuff like headlight and tail light working, break light, turn signals, tires have adequate tread, breaks work, exhaust not leaking, shocks aren't falling off, etc.. What I want is a list of all the things they check for inspection so I don't have to pay for the inspection more than once.

Nice thing is, bikes don't have windshield wipers for them to replace and charge me an arm and a leg each for year.

Its probably not the wisest thing, but I havent had my bike inspected here. My pals that have ridden forever say they never have either in 25-30 years. Now that I have that off my chest- to answer your question, I think you have it all covered. Don't think there is anything else they can nit-pick about.

I know when having a car inspected, you get a free return try to pass after you do the necessary repairs, though this may only be the emissions insp, which isnt relevant for the bike.

YOu could always just check w/ the shop before taking it in to see exactly what they look for.

I live downtown and have a black/gold 1982 GS850, so if you see one putting around its probably me.

What GS do you have?

Chris

Comment

I too am in Philly now and haven't bothered w/ the inspection. I check the bike over pretty good myself and thats enough for me. I haven't even put the tag on my plate yet...and the new one just came in the mail. I was told my a guy at a shop that mine wouldn't pass because the flush mount rear blinkers aren't far enough apart. Who knows what all they check.

Hey chris, my bike is the 700E parked down the street from eastern state pen on fairmount.

Trevor

Comment

Inspection

If I recall correctly from last fall when I had mine inspected, he also did a quick visual on the brake pads to see if they were close to the wear line. (one of the things I had to replace to pass inspection)

If you find a decent shop, as I did, the guy did a quick once over for me to let me know beforehand what I might need to pass inspection. Only thing he saw was the brake pads. I replaced them on my own, as well as bleeding the brake lines and took the bike back to him to inspect it the same day.

Other than that, all those things you mentioned are what is checked. The mechanic also took it for a ride, not sure what all he checks with that.

Good luck.
        Amos

ps. Forgot he also checked the front suspension.

Comment

make sure your fork seals arent leaking either

thats a no-no

scott

Comment

my shop is really picky so you may not fail for these things but:
            seat can not be torn (duct tape is legal)
            chain guard
            both side covers
            wheel bearing play
            steering head bearing play

that's all I can thing of. I'm not even sure about the bearings, it was my first bike and my dad told him to make it safe and legal.

Comment

Methinks that the front brake lines need bled 'cause she won't stop real quick. Not that I want to fly off over the handlebars, but I do want her to stop when I pull on the brakes. What kind of tread do I need on my tires to pass inspection?

Comment

Requirement for car tires is 2/32" min. tread depth; not sure it the same applies to M/C tires or not, but it'd be my guess.

Comment

where are you at in pa?

if your anywhere near Reading ,Jacks Cycle Service do excellent work for good prices and hes pretty good for inspections

he will usually let you know right away if theres anything it will need and give you a chance to fix it first

they have a website here www.jackscycleservice.com

scott

Comment

Working...
                  X