Petrol tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petrol tanks

Can someone please tell me if a Gsx1100et tank will fit a Gs1000s as i been offerd one
    been told petrol tap is in the wrong position.

Well at the end of the day virtually anything can be made to fit... all that differs is the degree of modifying required!

The '79 GS1000S had a different fuel tap to the 1980 GS1000S -- that much I know. The 1980 fuel tap (a wretched contraption, IMO) doesn't actually have a lever; you have to use a little screwdriver if you want to put it onto the 'PRI' position, etc.

The difficulty is that you can't simply use a '79 fuel tap on a '80 bike, because there isn't enough clearance between the bottom of the tank and top of the airbox.

I don't know for sure if the ET tank will fit on the S, but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the tap is in the wrong position. I imagine it could be done, but you'd probably either have to relocate the fuel tap on the tank to clear the airbox, OR you'd have to make a cutaway out of the side of the airbox and then plastiweld the hole you've cut in it.

Like I said, I'm sure it can be done -- but it all depends on how much work you're prepared to do. A straight no-sweat swap is highly unlikely.

Comment

My friend had a 1100x tank on his 79 gs1000. I think it was a no-mod fit

Comment

Steve, the 1100 tank will bolt straight on. It should have the same tap as I believe was fitted to yours (the one without a lever) so clearance won't be a problem (and your Pingel won't get in the way either).
        Are you going to get it painted S colours? If so 'twould be nice to see a photo of it fitted - I quite like the shape of those chunky early UK tanks (but not the US ones) and have half thought about having a look myself.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by gshub View Post
          Can someone please tell me if a Gsx1100et tank will fit a Gs1000s as i been offerd one
          been told petrol tap is in the wrong position.
          GShub, by your using the term "petrol" and your location I gather you're from Norwich, England, correct? I got my first degree in maths from UEA. There's another bloke who isn't on here as much anymore who grew up just outside of Norwich. He's since moved to Panama.

Comment

Working...
          X