1980 GS1100 Gas cap vented?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1100 Gas cap vented?

Is the gas tank vented through the cap on an '80 GS1100E? On the highway I'll start to get fuel starved until it eventually dies. Won't happen around town. Removed the gas cap and problem solved. The only other place it could be is the line coming off the fuel sending unit, which is clear of obstruction. I'm assuming it's the cap, just wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance for the help.

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
    Is the gas tank vented through the cap on an '80 GS1100E? On the highway I'll start to get fuel starved until it eventually dies. Won't happen around town. Removed the gas cap and problem solved. The only other place it could be is the line coming off the fuel sending unit, which is clear of obstruction. I'm assuming it's the cap, just wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Yes, I think all the GS caps should be vented.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Take it apart and clean it with brake cleaner. Beware small pieces so don't open it up over a small pepple driveway.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Take it apart and clean it with brake cleaner. Beware small pieces so don't open it up over a small pepple driveway.
        Small pepple have driveways?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Small pepple have driveways?

Yes! normal people call them sidewalks.

Earl :-)
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

All right All right
            pebble.
            Gotcha
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

All caps should be vented somehow... from your lawn mower to your GS. You can't get fuel out unless you get air in!

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
                All caps should be vented somehow... from your lawn mower to your GS. You can't get fuel out unless you get air in!
                All tanks should be vented, doesn't have to be through the cap.

Comment

Hi Mr. russr33,

Are you using a fuel filter? How's your float height? Just curious.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X