Need help to ID engine year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help to ID engine year

I have a spare 850 engine, probably a '79 or '80. It did not come with carbs, so no help there. Is there a way to identify the year of this engine? I'm trying to determine what pieces are and aren't swappable with my '83.

Thanks.

A '79 engine will have screws for attaching vacuum gauges built into the cylinder head.

On a 1980 or later engine, the sync screws are built into the rubber intake boots.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Also, a '79 GS850 engine will have a kick starter, and the later models do not.

Functionally speaking, the 1979 model also has points (instead of electronic iginition), a 12-pole stator, and the cylinder head is different to accommodate slide carbs instead of CV carbs.
      Last edited by bwringer; 01-25-2009, 09:05 PM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks Brian.

I was told it was a '79, but evidence points to '80. It has elec. ignition, a tubeless type rim, no kickstarter. The vacumm outlets are built into the metal intake 'manifolds'? - intake rings that are attached to the head, but not part of the head itself. I wonder if this was an '80 engine still mounted with the older carbs.

I'm trying to determine if I can use the old head/valve cover on my '83 engine.

Comment

Working...
        X