gs1000[kat]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000[kat]

Hi all.Wel ive picked up my 81'750 Kat [gs1000 motor].All is well with the charging system.But not much else!!First,what is it?The number is1000149903.It has a CDI system.Ill need to do the cam chain and i dont want to split the cases just yet.Any suggestions on which split chain to use?Ta

Why are you replacing the cam chain? Is it out of spec?

Post up a picture of the bike
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

its very worn.very!!!!

Comment

Use an 'original equipment' camchain from Suzuki -- avoid the eBay chains like the plague, 'coz you're likely to end up with a cheapie that'll probably snap and totally stuff your engine.

When you buy the new chain, get the chaps at the shop to press out one of the pins, and then when you install the chain (by using the old one to draw the newie through) just push the pin back in to connect the link, and 'pene' the end of the pin over so it will stay put.

Comment

Sounds like youve done this before.Ive joined drive chains this way and ended up with a tight spot.But i also like original parts.But i still dont know the origins of this motor 1000149903.Ive found a couple of sites that offer advice but but and but i still dont know.

Comment

Check out www.katanacentral.co.uk They may have some advice, too.

Comment

Ive joined drive chains this way and ended up with a tight spot.
              All the Suzuki mechanics ever do is exactly the method I've suggested: split the chain, use the old one to feed the newie through, and then rejoin the new camchain.

You shouldn't end up with a tight spot. If you do, what it may mean is that you have pened the end of the pin too tightly. There are joining links available that utilise a small spring clip like you find with drive chains, but pening the end of the pin is said to be a far safer way of joining the chain.

The only other way is to open the bottom end and remove the crankshaft so you can slip the chain over the end... but that method clearly has knobs on it.

Comment

Working...
              X