Oil cooler/fouled plug question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cooler/fouled plug question

Question for anyone who has an opinion. 1982 GS1100E with V&H 4-1, K&Ns and some jetting changes (from memory ?40/145??). Even after carbs were cleaned and set I have had fairly consistent problem with black sooty plugs. I have to change #1 with some frequency. If I ride longer distances at higher speeds, everything is okay, but putting around town is were the problem occurs. Starts running rough, backfiring, etc. If I don?t get out on the interstate and pound, I end up losing #1 and having to replace the plug.

Question is, I have a Derale oil cooler and my oil temp gauge rarely moves, but around town never goes higher than 170, which seems way too cold. Out on the road, it may reach 200, but rarely 210-220. I?m wondering if this could be the source of my problem. If so, I was thinking of putting some duct tape over half the cooler as a test to see what happens. If it improves, I would make a more permanent cover. In July and August, I could just pop it off. Any ideas?? Does duct tape sound appropriate??
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Bert,

Oil temperature shouldn't be effecting plug color/fuel mixture much. Two things to check if they are CVs, fuel level in the float bowls and clogged air circuit .

Comment

Bert. I just took mine off and the bike is now rreaching 200+ whenever i ride it long enough. It went up about 10 degrees after removing the oil cooler.

Comment

I have a set-up similar to yours, but with a lockhart cooler. I don't believe the cooler is causing your problem. I've been thinking about having a leather cover made that would slide over the cooler from the top down and with a couple of snaps at the bottom. I think this would be good during the mild to cold days which are many here in Oregon. BTW it's 97 here now. Nice to have cooler now and then.

Comment

oil cooler

You might want to check your electrical system. Sounds more like poor spark at low engine speeds.

Comment

I dont think your oil cooler has anything to do with your problem. My 1150
            (in south Fl. and 100 deg days) never has an oil temp reading higher than 170-175 and my plugs are buring clean and light brown.

Earl
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I agree that the oil cooler is not the problem. Keeping the oil below the 200 mark but above 170 or so is the goal.

Apart from tuning in the pilot/carb slide circuits (perhaps a tad too rich in town) it could be that your spark plugs are too cool overall. Years ago when I dynoed my bike to check out the jetting, they put in B9es plugs...ran perfect on high load warmed up runs, but fouled quickly in road use. On a track day the colder plugs may be ok, but standard work in all conditions.

Try checking the grade of plug to see whetehr it is still ok on a run.

Comment

Working...
              X