Mixture plug removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixture plug removal?

I've got my '80 550L carbs off and have begun the cleaning process...
    EDIT: I took a look at the carb reference, and I guess I'm talking about the air screw.
    The mixture screws all have their plug with the pinhole. I tried the screw technique, and promptly broke the tip of the screw off in the hole . I drilled this out, but haven't tried anything else yet.

How thick is this plug? When I drilled it, it seemed pretty substantial.
    How much does it take to get this thing loose? I put a lot of force on it, but it didn't budge at all.
    Can I get away with leaving this in? I've seen the broken carb pics...
    Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2009, 01:16 PM.

If you have any hope at all of completely cleaning your carbs, you must remove them.

Thickness? About 4-5mm and there is about that much room below it before hitting the screw. Friction fit around the outer edge, so just keep working at it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

generally they are 1/8-3/16th thick but more importantly, the air screw is just underneath and is nice soft brass.common to go to far and drill the air screw.I would recommend trying a better quality screw and plenty good quality penetrate.

Comment

are you sure you are removing the right plug ?

Comment

Twist the drill by hand, don't use a power drill. Once you are through try sticking the chuck end of the bit in the hole and prying it out.

And then use a screwdriver that fits really well, the screw may be stuck pretty good after 28 years.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i use a drill if your not sure wrap tape around the bit about 1/8 in up so you dont drill to far. i use a bit a little bigger then the hole when the bit is about to go thru it will pop the plug right out . just drill slow removed probbibly 50 to 100 that way never had a problem

Comment

Got one out!
              A small propane torch was the key for getting the screw out without stripping it (more). On a related note, is there a way to repair a slightly stripped head? I was able to get it out, but I'm worried that future removals. Can I grind the slot deeper or something?

Comment

Originally posted by elwaxoro View Post
                Got one out!
                On a related note, is there a way to repair a slightly stripped head? I was able to get it out, but I'm worried that future removals. Can I grind the slot deeper or something?
                You might be able to grind a deeper slot, but if you keep riding the bike or store it properly for the winter, you should never have to remove them again.

To grind a deeper slot, you might try a Dremel tool with a thin cutting disk and a VERY steady hand.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve's right. A dremmel works great. I've used it to remove stuck screws in the carb bodies also.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by elwaxoro View Post
                    Got one out!
                    A small propane torch was the key for getting the screw out without stripping it (more). On a related note, is there a way to repair a slightly stripped head? I was able to get it out, but I'm worried that future removals. Can I grind the slot deeper or something?
                    IIRC there's not a lot of thickness between the bottom of the slot and the shaft of the screw. I think it makes more sense to cut a new slot the same depth as the original but offset 90 degrees from the original.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel View Post
                      IIRC there's not a lot of thickness between the bottom of the slot and the shaft of the screw. I think it makes more sense to cut a new slot the same depth as the original but offset 90 degrees from the original.
                      If you cut a different slot, you will have far less (soft) metal there to support your turning efforts.
                      Personally, I would rather cut the existing groove a little deeper.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                      X