Left turn signal light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left turn signal light

I made a HUGE mistake last season.... I let someone else ride my GS 850.

Oh, he'd told me everything. "Don't worry man! I've been riding 850cc engines and larger for years! I can handle it! If I break anything... I'll pay for it!"

Down goes the bike.... followed by an uncomfortable silence and an awkward pause....

The bike is o.k.... save one problem.... my left turn signal light now dangles with the wires exposed, and is currently being held in place by rope.

Does anybody know of an adhesive or sealant that I could use to attach the metal turn signal fixture back to the frame? Nothing seems to bond to metal very well and it is very hard to re-attach.

Thanks for your time.

Originally posted by DarkOnyx View Post
    I made a HUGE mistake last season.... I let someone else ride my GS 850.

Oh, he'd told me everything. "Don't worry man! I've been riding 850cc engines and larger for years! I can handle it! If I break anything... I'll pay for it!"

Down goes the bike.... followed by an uncomfortable silence and an awkward pause....

The bike is o.k.... save one problem.... my left turn signal light now dangles with the wires exposed, and is currently being held in place by rope.

Does anybody know of an adhesive or sealant that I could use to attach the metal turn signal fixture back to the frame? Nothing seems to bond to metal very well and it is very hard to re-attach.

Thanks for your time.
    Ebay is your friend here, every part is there if you are patient.
    Temporarily, JB Weld should do it...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Suzuki still makes them. The knock offs on Ebay are cheapo. If you can find a good used set on Ebay I'd go that way.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You lookin for the stock lollipops? I've got some from a 77 750 and a 79 1000, if that's what you're lookin for.

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
          You lookin for the stock lollipops? I've got some from a 77 750 and a 79 1000, if that's what you're lookin for.
          Thank you for your kind offer, but mine are functional and I'd just kind of like to reattach them. This JB Weld sounds like a winner.

I am concerned that one day I won't be able to find parts for this old machine though. Already it's getting bad. What do you do then?

Comment

Thank you for your kind offer, but mine are functional and I'd just kind of like to reattach them. This JB Weld sounds like a winner.

I am concerned that one day I won't be able to find parts for this old machine though. Already it's getting bad. What do you do then?
            What do you do then? You take an offer like Rudy just offered to you and get some stockers.

JB Weld might hold them for a while, but, depending on just where they are broken, there is quite a bit of weight hanging out there with not a whole lot of support area. A couple of good bounces and even the JB won't hold them.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Aftermarket and ingenuity. It's amazing what one can build with a little creativity and small hand tools.

As for the signals that you have, where is it broken? The lights that came on my 1k were actually shortened by the PO. He took the threaded tube out of the stalk, cut the stalk shorter and re-threaded it. Just makes the stalk a little shorter. Only thing is, you'll have to do it to both sides.

Comment

I thought all GS turn signals were plastic. Is your metal mounting bracket what's broke, or is it the signal itself? Like they said e-bay. Personally I like the aftermarkets.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

It's actually the washer that the nut screws on to. It's damaged and thus has fallen off somewhere and as such there's nothing to stop the entire fixture from sliding loose freely. Replacing the washer seems to require removing wires and such and thus makes me cringe as a VERY new biker. I fear that in my experimentation of how to do some electrical work that I will end up making a costly mistake. I've done something simillar in other cases and thus am a bit gun shy.

According to the website, JB weld has immense holding strength. I would imagine that a rough bump on the road would be insufficient to knock it loose. It claims to have nearly 4000psi in tensile strength.

Comment

Don't be afraid to take it apart. It's actually quite simple.
                    Do you have two wires or one coming out of it. On some the ground wire is attached to the tubing so be careful not to pull it off. Some have one hot wire and the signal is grounded at the frame. I assume you have the two wire since it is hanging and working.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Sorry, I'm still confused. The washers I've seen have no threads, thus you can't screw a nut on a washer. The only washer I remember is the big washer that's connected to the ground wire and goes under the mounting nut. If that's the problem, just wrap the bare wire under the mounting nut then tighten securely. It's just a ground.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

There are two wires I believe. (I am not near it right now, I am at work so perhaps it would be better to take a picture).

There's a hole where the left turn signal fits into to attach it to the frame. There's a nut on the interior side that is supposed to tighten to hold it into place. But the nut is smaller than the hole that the fixture slides through to attach it, therefore there is nothing to hold it up. It slides completely in and out freely. That's the scenario.

I am quite relieved though that this appears to be a quite trivial fix. I thank all of you for your time and responses.

Comment

Ok, unplug the wire/wires from the bike pull the nut off put a washer on it (one that's bigger than the hole) plug it back in and go... A picture would be extreamly helpful in helping you.
                          Changing a turnsignal on a bike isn't exactly "electirical" work.
                          Take a picture and any number of us can help.

Comment

Thanks for the help fellas, I'll take a picture when I get home.

Comment

O.k. fellas, here's what we're lookin' at:

[IMG]http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6lQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpD0fRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6 xqpxQQJnxJnnx0lJxv8uOc5xQQQaPnJa0nlnGqpfVtB%3F*KUp 7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QJoG%7CRup6aQQ%7C/of=50,332,442[/IMG]

[IMG]http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6lQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpD0fRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6 xqpxQQJnxJnnx0lJxv8uOc5xQQQaPnJa0nlnlqpfVtB%3F*KUp 7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QJPG%7CRup6aQQ%7C/of=50,332,442[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                              X