GS425 help/new member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS425 help/new member

Hey all, I received the following PM from Pete. He just acquired a GS425 and although he is able to use PM's he is not yet able to post. I figured if
    I pasted the PM I received from him here, everyone could answer his questions. He could PM any poster he needed additional info from and that person could post his PM question and their answer on the forum.

His screen name is TDIPower for those that want to PM him.

Here we go.

Hi im new to the forum, well I havent been able to post yet. Ive sent the Admin a PM but it would appear they havent been on line since 23 Jan.

Im quite desperate for some information and wonder if you could act as a go between until Admin let me in.

Sorry to pick on you but I went for the person with the most posts.

I have a GS425 project on the go but it would seem that it's not a GS425 engine. There is no loom with the bike and Im needing to wire it all up. I either want to pick up a loom or I will make my own.

The engine has GS40X-123000 stamped on it, it has pickups rather than contacts, no kick lever and looks from pictures I have seen via google like a GSX400 engine (rectangular cam covers)

I need wiring information and really need to know the BHP as the lad I have working on it wants to use it and in the UK you are restricted to 36bhp for the first two years if you are under 21.

By googling GS40X i came across this place http://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-series/GSX400L.shtml and it indicates its 27bhp but then found http://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-series/GSX400E.shtml which says that its output is 44bhp.

I really need to know what engine this is.

Many thanks in advance. If you have any contact with Admin please could you give them a nudge to let me in.

Pete

Earl

Last edited by earlfor; 01-27-2009, 09:27 PM.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Based on the serial number 1977 GS400xb. A gs 425 engine would be in
    the form GS425-1000xx. I think the 425 was made in 1979. What year is the bike you have?

Comment

On the right side of the steering stem, behind the headlight shell, there is a riveted vin plate. It should show the serial number, model and year of the bike.

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

[Posted per request from TDIPower]

the bike has been in my friends yard for 10yrs, It is a frame, forks, engine, wheels, exhaust, seat, tank. In various boxes are the carbs (in bits and need diaghrams) Ignitor, reg/rect.
        There are no lights or wiring on the bike. The only wiring is what is coming from under various covers on the engine.

The frame is stamped GS425-500xxx (last 3 x's are numbers)
        The plate is damaged but I could sort of make out 100942 and 00685 but that might not be correct.

I have to apply for the documents as they have been lost. However the Tax disc gives a year of registration 1980-81 and an engine size of 398cc

As I said the only info I can find on the engine is stamped
        GS40X-123xxx (last 3 x's are numbers)
        It doesnt have a kick start
        the Cam end covers are rectangular
        From what I have seen looking at the pics of the GSX400 the sprocket cover casting looks the same round the clutch adjustment cover.

If I can get an identification on the engine I can get a manual and then make a loom up, but most importantly for the lad who is working on it is find out if it is the 27bhp or the 44bhp engine. If the latter I will need to find out how to restrict it to 36bhp max.

Cheers Pete

Comment

Electrical wise, do you have things like the igniter box which sits under the side covers? (on the gsx400 engine it would sit under the left hand side cover) im asking as nearly everything else could be kludged up from various parts, but that one is going to be the biggest pain in the rear, another thought is ive looked at the electrical system of similar bikes such as the gs500, and they are nearly the same, perhaps you can look into a loom from a bike such as that if you dont have a whole bunch of luck diy-ing it or sourcing an OEM loom.

The engine number sounds correct for a gsx400 series motor, i have a gsx 250 and the engine number uses a similar syntax of gs25X-0somethingorother. I have a haynes manual for the gsx250 & 400 which has an electrical diagram in there too (it has numerous ones for uk and us models of everything), which i can scan for you and email direct to an email address. The same can be said for any other segment of the manual you require as well.

I'll check things such as the full vehicle mass & engine output, etc when i get home in a couple of hours.

Good luck!!
          Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2009, 03:39 PM.

Comment

TDIPower did not specify where he is from but I am beginning to suspect this is not a US model bike.

Comment

[Posted per request from TDIPower]

Im in the UK.

Comment

I was starting to suspect the uk, particularly with the whole gs/gsx thing.

Got your PM, have found the model details. Now to dig out that scanner & make sure it works alright.
                Originally posted by TDIPower
                I have an ignitor and the Reg Rect BUT there isnt much length on the wires (NOT a problem I was en electronics engineer for 10yrs)

if you could scan that would be great Im in the UK so will be UK specs

*email omitted*

Basicly I just want to be able to get it running and go from there.

Pete
                Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2009, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Wooooo!!! Im in

Thanks a lot to all who have posted my PM's.

The full spec on this project (ive only been getting into bikes for 2-3yrs Landrovers have taken most of my time). A mate got me into bikes, Sold me a GSF600 Bandit, 8months later I added a Harley Davidson MT350 (Army dispatch riders bike) My friend pointed me at Flattrack bikes and I liked the look, he said I could clear the GS425 from his yard and turn it into something along that style. Before I got round to picking it up I got hooked on an XTZ750 Yamaha Super Tenere which will be doing 1000+miles each way this summer to Italy and back.

SO no space in the garage and mate wanting the space for more bikes in his yard, an ex pupil of mine (Im a Teacher) was T boned off his bike and is getting insurance mess around. I figured He could do it up for me to keep him busy, that and he has lots of space . I dropped the bike off on Sunday, its stripped to the frame and getting a full paint this weekend, Im trying to get all the info so we can get it running.

Once i have a wiring diagram I can make up a test loom, Im going to clean up the carbs but the diaphgrams dont look to good at the mo. SO when I know what the engine is Ill be on the lookout for anytype of carb that will make the lump run.

Forks will need stripping and re sealing, head bearings need replacing, cant get the drum brake out of the back wheel, needs a chain, indicators, tail light, headlight, flasher unit, wiring loom (either second hand or ill make one). caliper needs stripping and cleaning out. Set of tyres...

On the up side ive turned the engine over and it feels good, all the gears select and feel positive, the engine oil is like new!!

Pete

Comment

Email sent!!
                    check your pm for details, and your inbox for about a 2.5meg file.

Comment

looking great...

Thanks for that. I can try and get a loom sorted to test things.

Still want to get confirmation on the engine and then sortout a manual for it.

Pete

Comment

pictures would help. gs40x idicates gs400 engine. what year on the other hand? take a few pictures of the bike, carbs, etc.

Comment

here is some chap in the US selling a variety of manuals, including the gs/gsx400 that you have. I guess you can keep this chap in mind if you aren't able to source your own Haynes manual and can convince someone to forward the manual to you if he won't oblige.

... Actually after further look here is a bloke that will send them internationally and the price is *MUCH* more reasonable, i would probably forget looking at the manuals from that first bloke actually. I ended up purchasing my manual from the US when i started looking for one for my gsx250.

However as i said before, if you want me to i can quite happily oblige in scanning various segments of the manual (at a much lower resolution than the electrical diagram i already sent you).

Comment

Thanks again folks, I can get the Haynes for quite a reasonable amount here. Its just getting the correct one for the engine. I have the GS400&425 twins 1977-1979 which it isnt, so after talkng to you lot and getting the wiring diagram from mike-s has pointed me more definatly to the GSX400.

As for photos well it looks just the same as the photo on the front of the haynes manual of the GS400E only with a GSX400 engine. OH remove all the electrics, loom, lamps, clocks, mirrors, air box, battery tray and side pannels (dont have any of that lot), imagine the carbs in a biscuit tin on the floor next to it. its got a 2 into 1 pipe.

The carbs are Mikuni but i cant see any model numbers on them. Im gong to strip them and treat them to the ultrasonic bath.

Pete

Comment

If you have a digital camera, here's how to post up to four pics using photobucket. It sure would help everyone ID your bike.

Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X