No announcement yet.

Chain on a budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote=Baatfam;950563]Nothing wrong with clip style master links if you put it on correctly...that's all I've ever used..
    Even on the dragbike,,,,[/quote]

No, your exactly right, there isn't much to screw up on a clip-on style master. I've chewed a few up on my go-kart as a kid, but as I got older and into bikes, read about a bunch of accounts catering to CB Honda guys crying that their clip style master links would fall off at the most inopportune time, well, I just wanted to find something better. Heck, some CB guys would even try silicone sealant as a measure of insurance and still lose out.

I certainly wouldn't validate my go-kart experience as real-world cycle experience, especially with the dust and mud I subjected my chains to, but it had happened on several occasions to me as well, so I certainly wasn’t going to say that it could not happen.

I simply wanted to regurgitate what others have mentioned on here as far as first hand cycle experience, but with only hearing/reading one-sided "accounts" I couldn't speak well of the clip style masters.

I was also using the chain manufactures recommended tensile strength differences between riveted and clip-on. I want to recall that it was about a 1000 psi difference, but probably still more than enough to handle some serious abuse.

I've also learned that no matter what anyone recommends on the internet, someone will always come along to dispel it; to each their own.

And again, this is why I pretty much have stopped giving first hand accounts of my own work history, even though some of my stuff has been published in smaller news papers; it's not worth the effort/argument. I now find links to help support people, so that if they want to argue or anyone if else wants to say otherwise, they can take it up with the author.

"EK recommends using a riveted-type master link for all street and dual-sport motorcycles, and EK’s clip-type as an alternative for off-road use. Try using EK’s patented screw-type master link, provides rivet-like fit and strength without special tools or removal of the rear wheel. "

Number e.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Big T - That's a good deal. You'll find that the 630 chain will stretch a bit for the first 1000 miles, then barely move at all after that.

Have you posted in the Shasta rally page? You'd be a good resource there, what with being the "local" and all.
      I was not aware that there was a Shasta Rally page... Where is it?

82Shafty - EK recommends using a riveted-type master link for all street and dual-sport motorcycles, and EK’s clip-type as an alternative for off-road use. Try using EK’s patented screw-type master link, provides rivet-like fit and strength without special tools or removal of the rear wheel.
      That sounds like the answer to my dilemma! Gonna find one right away!

Comment

Here ya go, not far south of Medford.

Originally posted by Phaseman View Post
        I was not aware that there was a Shasta Rally page... Where is it?
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X