Chain on a budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain on a budget?

Time for a new chain. I've had some advice about converting to a 530 but I'm running out of cash.

Looks like the best prices are on D.I.D. or EK.

Any thoughts on which way to go for a 630? I believe it takes a 630 98 link and I'm seeing prices at $55 to $95

Also, do I need to remove the swing arm or will it come with a master link? Rear wheel is off for bearing replacement already.

You won't need to remove the swingarm for any of the work. A new chain will come with a masterlink.

As far as what to go for...go for what ever is absolutely the cheapest. I say this because you're speaking of just replacing a chain. If your chain is worn out, your sprockets are most certainly worn. Putting a new chain on worn sprockets will accelerate the wear on the chain exponentially. The best thing to do is ALWAYS replace the entire drive system...chain AND sprockets.

I'm having a hard time finding a roller style 630 chain...all seem to be ringed...about the cheapest I can find is $50. If you can find a roller style chain, they're usually around $20~25 for a DID.

Comment

I have 66000 kms on original rear sprocket, I flipped the rear sprocket over when i replaced the front one( it was worn enough to make crunchy noises ) well into my second chain....630 lasts a long time.
      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Parts n more for sprockets

630 o-ring

syn chain lube is still required... Just ask P_S on here.

You will need to borrow someone's tool to rivet a master link together. Forget the clip on ones.

Comment

If you're replacing chain and sprockets I don't think there is much different if you want to convert to a 530. If you can just change the chain (not recommended with worn sprockets) then you'll just need the chain. The stock 630 chain is 96 kinks, not 98 as you mentioned in your post, you should double check check though. I did mine last year and it set me back just over $200 if I remember right.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
          https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

376 000km and still going strong

Hey and with the state of the economy, you could probably pick one up, cheaper than buying a chain, no deposit down, intrest free for the first year, first payment only in 6 months time.

Comment

yeah but shaft drive = no room for modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post

376 000km and still going strong

Hey and with the state of the economy, you could probably pick one up, cheaper than buying a chain, no deposit down, intrest free for the first year, first payment only in 6 months time.
                Dont you have to be really old to ride a shaft bike? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                  You will need to borrow someone's tool to rivet a master link together. Forget the clip on ones.
                  Nothing wrong with clip style master links if you put it on correctly...that's all I've ever used..
                  Even on the dragbike,,,,
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Huh?

I think your bike must be a 1980 model since I don't think there was a '79 model (at least not in the U.S.). Am I wrong about that??
                    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Clip masterlinks here, as well...nothing other. I've yet to hear a valid argument against them barring idiocy; but, if you think about it, an idiot can screw anything up.

Nothing but roller chains, either, unless I get a free o or x ringer.

Comment

Post up a picture of your front and rear sprocket teeth, and we'll be able to tell you if they need to be replaced.

Is that "cheap" bike costing you a bit moore than you bargained for?

630 O ring believer here. Long lasting and very satisfying.
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Chain Purchased!

derwood - I have 66000 kms on original rear sprocket, I flipped the rear sprocket over when i replaced the front one( it was worn enough to make crunchy noises ) well into my second chain....630 lasts a long time.
                          Good idea, makes sense and sounds like it will save me instant wear on the new one. I'm gonna do it unless someone has a better reason that I shouldn't.

82Shafty - Parts n more for sprockets
                          630 o-ring
                          syn chain lube is still required... Just ask P_S on here.
                          Already bought the chain this morning before all these posts came in...
                          The old chain came off with no problem while removing the rear wheel.
                          It was stretched to the max and I'm wondering if since I am pulling the swing off to check and grease it if I can just have the chain joined together at the shop and install it before I reinstall the swing? Think it will be too tight to get over the rear sprocket?

Sandy - If you're replacing chain and sprockets I don't think there is much different if you want to convert to a 530. If you can just change the chain (not recommended with worn sprockets) then you'll just need the chain. The stock 630 chain is 96 kinks, not 98 as you mentioned in your post, you should double check check though. I did mine last year and it set me back just over $200 if I remember right.
                          You're right, 96 links. My bad.

Flyboy - 376 000km and still going strong
                          Dang! One of the body shops I got a quote from to pull the dent in my tank offered to GIVE me the shaft...

sharpy -Dont you have to be really old to ride a shaft bike? LOL
                          Heh!

Baatfam - Nothing wrong with clip style master links if you put it on correctly...that's all I've ever used..
                          Even on the dragbike,,,,
                          The chain I bought requires the rivet type I guess.

chuckycheese - I think your bike must be a 1980 model since I don't think there was a '79 model (at least not in the U.S.). Am I wrong about that?
                          They made em'... Mine is a 1978 GS1000E.

makenzie71 - Clip masterlinks here, as well...nothing other. I've yet to hear a valid argument against them barring idiocy; but, if you think about it, an idiot can screw anything up.
                          Nothing but roller chains, either, unless I get a free o or x ringer.
                          Clip wouldn't bother me... Be easier I think.

Big T Post up a picture of your front and rear sprocket teeth, and we'll be able to tell you if they need to be replaced.

Is that "cheap" bike costing you a bit moore than you bargained for?

630 O ring believer here. Long lasting and very satisfying.
                          Still a bargain I think.

I'll try to get pics up this weekend, I think they are in pretty good shape. And I like derwoods' idea about flipping the rear sprocket.

My big trouble is WANTING to spend more than I know I should. I hate not going with the best, but with budget constraints I am trying to reign myself in to the mid range. For now anyways.

I just want to have her running well for the NW states run to Shasta!
                          You going to make that one BigT?

And by the way... I ended up going with:

D.I.D 630HK 96 link

• Heavy Duty Series has a higher tensile strength than the standard roller chain
                          • D.I.D. is the #1 chain manufacturer in the world
                          • Solid rollers
                          • Shot-peened parts
                          • High cylindrical and roundness accuracy
                          • Exacting tolerances provide low friction
                          • Pre-stretched
                          • Extended riveted bushing "Anti-Kink" design
                          • Special alloy steel
                          • Average tensile strength of 11,400 lbs.

$100.00 from a local shop I just found. Seems like a good price for it. Found em' on the web from 100.00 to 135.00, so I saved on the shipping.

Comment

That's a good deal. You'll find that the 630 chain will stretch a bit for the first 1000 miles, then barely move at all after that.

Have you posted in the Shasta rally page? You'd be a good resource there, what with being the "local" and all.
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Phaseman View Post

They made em'... Mine is a 1978 GS1000E.
                              Of course, you're right! I misread your post and thought you had a GS1100E.

By the way, I've lived in California for many years but I grew up in Roseburg.
                              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                              X