Synching Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synching Carbs

Can someone walk me through the synching process? I have an 81 GS650G, and don't have the shop manual yet. I also only have 1 vacumn guage. Do ineed to go ahead and buy a set of guages even though I'll be sellnig the bike in a few months?

Anyway, If someone could walk me through the process I'd really appreciate it.

A good set of gauges will run you about $300. I'm not talking about
    the cheapy vacuum gauges, I mean the nice brass gauges you usually
    have to special order. Your local shop should synch the carbs for you
    pretty cheap. Does your bike idle o.k.? If so you really don't need to
    synch your carbs since all it really affects is how well your bike is at idle,
    cuz as soon as you rap on the throttle and the diaphrams (spelling? ) start moving the synching doesn't have anything to do
    with how smooth your engine runs past about 1/8th throttle. If your
    bike does need some help idling, I'd be happy to walk you through it.
    Brian

Comment

You can get mecury sticks to sync the carbs they cost less than $50. If you are selling the bike I wouldn't worry about it Unless there is a reason, such as having the carbs completely apart I'm not talking about just removing the fuel bowls for cleaning Syncing the carbs WILL have an effect on how the bike runs

Comment

Thanks for the info. The engine is still "waking up" after it's long slumber too. I just ahad to adjust the idle tonight. After an hour of riding, it's idle dropped from 1100 to 400 and stalled. Everytime. I adjusted idle some, and no problem.

It does sound like there's some valve clatter though at LOW speed. My wife is learning to ride on the GS, so it spends alot of time right above idle ans rolling, and I can hear the occasional clatter.

Other than that, she runs well, although after you "blip" the throttle it tends to "stick" at 2500 RPM, then drop down to idle. I'm still running a tank of carb cleaner through, so I don't think the bike has had time to really flush itself out yet either.

All in All, I think I got a steal for $700, and am enjoying working on this sweet old girl. I appreciate al of y'alls help as I work on her!

Comment

Sounds like you might need yours synched after all, your cheapest
          route would be just to take it to your local dealer and have them do it.
          The drawback to mercury is sucking some into your engine and trashing
          it. And yes synching has an effect on how your engine runs...at idle.
          Brian

Comment

Working...
          X