Leaky head...oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky head...oil

Hey everybody. I acquired my lastest GS about a month ago. Its been too cold to ride here in GA (Dallas), but I have been starting and riding it short distances weekly. I noticed it dripping oil last week. It looked as if it was coming from the short head bolt right in front of the timing chain housing. Closer inspection looks like it is coming the fin right above where the head seats. I don't get it... any help out there?

To pinpoint the leak source it's suggested to clean the area thoroughly using a degreasing agent followed by drying. After that, start the engine and look closely for the leak source. Some people also suggest spraying the area with spray powder or some sort like athletes foot powder. Common leak sources include the tach drive seal, valve cover seal, and of course the head gasket.

Hope this helps and welcome to the GSR! Best motorcycle forum in the world!
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. Rusty,

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Also, we like pictures! Not you, your bike! Thanks for joining us.

From what you describe, could be a valve cover leak or a tach cable seal leak. Let's hope it's not a head gasket. But like Mr. Nessism says, clean and dry the area, spray some power, look for the wet spot.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It's a big help if you'll reveal exactly what sort of motorcycle you're riding...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If it's coming from the between the fins it could even be the cam chain tensioner leaking.
          There are also copper washers and o-rings in the head to keep the oil from leaking down the cylinder studs.
          And what Ed and Cliff said.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys.
            The bike is a 1983 GS1100E... quite a monster. I just put a set of alloy straight drag bars on it.
            I cleaned the engine thoroughly and am waiting anxiously. It has not leaked from anywhere that I can see since yesterday! Thats the way it goes. It got down to the teens here, and I keep the bike in a carport, not concealed from the cold...maybe the cold and expanding/contracting metals? I dont know, but the bike has approx 35,000 miles on it and I was thinking of putting some 30 weight (straight weight) into it... any thoughts?
            Thanks again,
            Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
              Thanks for all the help guys.
              The bike is a 1983 GS1100E... quite a monster. I just put a set of alloy straight drag bars on it.
              I cleaned the engine thoroughly and am waiting anxiously. It has not leaked from anywhere that I can see since yesterday! Thats the way it goes. It got down to the teens here, and I keep the bike in a carport, not concealed from the cold...maybe the cold and expanding/contracting metals? I dont know, but the bike has approx 35,000 miles on it and I was thinking of putting some 30 weight (straight weight) into it... any thoughts?
              Thanks again,
              Rusty
              If everything is present and assembled correctly, the temperature should not make it leak.

Why would you put 30w oil in the bike? Suzuki calls for 10W40 in that machine, if I recall correctly, and I can't think of a good reason to deviate from that on a stock bike. But I could be wrong.

Comment

There's an o-ring around a nut somewhere on the 1100E head that commonly leaks much as you describe.

Hopefully an 1100E owner will be along shortly to explain further.

I can't begin to imagine why you feel the urge to dump in 30W oil, but be assured that 10W-40 is indeed the correct oil viscosity for your bike.

Some folks have been happy with 5W-40 Rotella Synthetic or 15W-40 Rotella conventional oil (both intended for diesel engines) in their bikes, but if I were you I'd simply stick with any decent 10W-40, such as Castrol, or even a motorcycle-specific oil of the correct weight until you get a better feel for what others have done and what you're comfortable with.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X