1993 gs550l ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 gs550l ignition

Hello I'm new here, and have read a few of the posts and see there is allot of knowledge here so i thought id ask for some help. I have a 1983 gs550l, the number 1 and the number 4 cylinder has no spark the guy who i got it from sodered in a new pick up for an old bike and said the test in the book passed, I haven't done it for myself, yet, I'm on my way out now to do it, also I'm going to check the coils, my question is, if my pickups are bad what are my options, do they make an inexpensive aftermarket kit that is better than the stock setup? how should I fix this problem without spending more than the bike is worth? thanks for your help Randy

well; I went out and swapped the coils, both work fine, (one side is still deadbut it doesnt follow). I checked out the pickups, and the resistance was almost the same, correct me if im wrong but they are fine, within limits according to the manual. heres what i think it is; it's the ignition moduel. please let me know if that sounds right. now if it is, does anyone know where to get a good moduel or an aftermarket kit for a good price? I don't want to put to much into this bike, its just not worth the money, any help would be app. thx Randy

Comment

Hope to help

Randy,

After just going through alot trying to get spark out of my 1983 GS550L I can tell you that the only after market kit I was able to find is made by Boyer Bransden (in the England I believe). The kit number is 00057. I have not installed this kit as I was able to get mine running. The reason for the lack of other kits on the market is the timing advance on our bike is not mechanical. prior to 1983 the bikes had a mechanical avance where the pick-ups are located.

The tests that I have done from the book told me that my signal generators where ok when infact they where not. The one test that is not in the book that should be is to take a light weight piece of metal like a screw driver tip or a hacksaw blade and touch it to the metal piece sticking out of the pick-up coil. You should find this has a magnetic charge to it. If it does not the pick-up coil is not going to work.

With the spark plugs out and grounded to the head swap the white wire from the left igntion coil with the black/white wire from the right coil and see if you spark switches spark plugs. If it does not you have a bad coil circuit. If it does switch, then either the pick-up coil, igniter unit, or wire from the one to the other is bad. Possibly even the wire from the igniter unit to the ignition coil. The the wires can be checked by a continuity test. The pick-up coils by the test I descibed and an ohm meter test between the wires. There is a more complicated test for the igniter unit but test these first.

Let me know what you find I will try to help you further.

Thanks,
      Gavin Shafer

Comment

Check the spark plug cap

Comment

thx I just put new plugs in yesterday (gap .028). also when i swapped the coils the other two plug fired just fine. thanks for your input Lynn, I sure wish it was the spark plugs. Gavin thx for your reply, sounds like youve gone through allot with your 550 also. I'm going to try your test today. where did you get your aftermarket ignition from and how much did it cost? if you don't mind me asking. I have been on the net trying to find it and I'm having trouble locating a kit for the gs550. I will udate with what I find.

Comment

Hello,

I bought a stock replacement from a guy who had carbs for sale on e-bay.

If you do a search for boyer bransden on the net you will come up with a few dealers state side. This kit will most likely have to be special ordered.
            The only site I found that listed it was in Austrailia and they wanted $259.60 Austrilian $$ About have of that by the time you convert it and pay for shipping.

Thanks,
            Gavin Shafer

Comment

well i checked all of my wiring, all checks good. Both of my pickups have a magnetic field. you said you have some more tests for the cdi? is there two seperate channels in the cdi? and is there anyway i can check them? I did the test with the spark and I didn't see any, but maybe my multi meter didn't set it off like it was supposed to. I'm not having any luck finding a used cdi. and for the price I might as well get the whole system. is yours for sale???? let me know thanks Randy

Comment

If you have done the spark test that is the other test I was going to tell you about. I did not buy the after market igniter unit. I just found the only one available. There is a used stock unit at a wreckers in Calagry Alberta. He wants $125.00 CDN

Thanks,
                Gavin Shafer

Comment

If I can Help

Randy,

I am waiting for a chain and some other parts for my bike right now so it is in the garage with the bolts out of the fuel tank. If there are any tests or info you would like measured to compair to your bike just let me know.
                  I started my bike this afternoon just to listen to it run.

Thanks,
                  Gavin

Comment

thanks Gavin, today Precision Performance Motorcycle Parts finally emailed me back and they have a kit for around 162.00 us. which isn't bad, I hope I didn't screw up my motor running it on only two cylinders. I'm going to order the kit tomorrow, I'll let you know when its fixed. I want to tell you how much I appriciate the time you took to help me out. thanks again Randy

Comment

Not a problem. I have time on my hands right now so if I can put it to good use I don't mind.

Thanks,
                      Gavin Shafer

Comment

Working...
                      X