GS 750L breaker points question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 750L breaker points question

I have noticed that only one of two points on my bike spark when the bike is running and wonder if this means the other is no good and needs replacing. Maybe a stupid question but one that needs asking!

Re: GS 750L breaker points question

Originally posted by kevin mannion
    I have noticed that only one of two points on my bike spark when the bike is running and wonder if this means the other is no good and needs replacing. Maybe a stupid question but one that needs asking!
    ... or the capacitor connected to the sparking points needs to be replaced!
    The capacitor not only supplies more voltage to the coil, it also reduces the spark at the breaker points.
    If the bike runs well, I think that's the problem, not the breaker points.

Comment

If the bike runs fine, I wouldnt worry about not seeing a spark at the points gap. If the points gaps are very different, the amount of visable spark will differ, The gaps alter timing, so I would take a look at the spark plug center ceramics to see just how the cylinders are running, They should all be a tan to brown range. If they are sooty, wet or carboned, you probably need to clean, and re-gap the points and reset the timing. I dont bother with cleaning old points anymore as they are only about $8 a set. Condensers are a couple bucks each and you have it all. :-) I'm getting about 15000 miles on a set of points without regapping or doing anything to them between changes.

Earl

Originally posted by kevin mannion
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
        I dont bother with cleaning old points anymore as they are only about $8 a set. Condensers are a couple bucks each and you have it all. :-) I'm getting about 15000 miles on a set of points without regapping or doing anything to them between changes.
        You're right Earl.
        I was assuming that the points were new.

Comment

I agree with you Harry, it could be a condenser also. A faulty condenser would increase the visable spark and also cause burned points.

Earl

Originally posted by jojo
          You're right Earl.
          I was assuming that the points were new.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Working...
          X