What kind of DJ to buy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of DJ to buy...

I want to buy a set of DJ 165's just in case I need to re-jet. I have 155's in there now and would like to buy them just in case. I have a stage 3 with K&N pods and a V&H 4-1. On flat-out, there are the small ones, and the medium ones. Just confused on the type that I need. Thanks.

maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I can't for the life of me figure out what you're asking. I'm running the same jet kit on my '80 GS850L and I found the 155 gave the best power, 94 hp and change with a MAC 4-1 and UNI filters. Are you experiencing symptoms that would lead you to believe the bike is running lean? Plugs look ok? No intake leaks?

Comment

94 horse? no way. no how. 64 maybe.... but not over 10 percent of your displacement on stock carbs. I call total B.S.

I might have a set of 165 D.J. you can have. I'll have to look in the garage.
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
        94 horse? no way. no how. 64 maybe.... but not over 10 percent of your displacement on stock carbs. I call total B.S..
        Total BS huh? Would a dyno-sheet change your tune?

Comment

I think if anything, she was running rich last summer. I could smell a little gasoline when just idleing. With the pods off and just blipping the throttle, very tiny mists of gas would come out the carbs. The third pipe doesn't have any color since I put them on last april which could be a shim (hopefully). The plugs were kinda rich, but not sooty. The only thing I would fiddle around with was the air jet's (47.5) turning them in and out and seeing how the plugs looked after a ride. I'm new at all the re-jetting and so forth. I saw for my jet kit that it had 155, 160 and 165 mains. I have 155's in there now. My mechanic did it for me last april and I don't have that kit. I just wanted to buy those because maybe I would have to re-jet, but then again maybe I don't have to even touch after I check the valves, do a compression test and new o-rings and intake o-rings. So I am probably all set, but just wanted to ask either way.

Comment

Do all your maintenance items first as you mentioned before spending money on things you "might" need. Or, buy everything and stimulate the economy.

Comment

shetlands or clydesdales??

ok plooker a challenge??? I have a 75 horse EX 500 ninja along with a 160 horse 1085 gs. this week I'll be testing the 1428 gs1150 I just brought home. I expect to see 230 or so on the sheet.I also tune/design/build many hi-performance engines year round. I know you have not heard of K.P.M. but that is ok we just took #1 NHRA sportsman pro bike on a engine I had a big part in building. Tom Klemme rode it in Pamona a few weeks ago.

94 on a stock carb gs850-really?? an 850cc?? nitrous? turbo? hmmmm. ported and milled head 14-1 comp? big dome pistons? no charging system? I'd like to know how you achieved 100%++ increase on that emission laden shaft drive motorcycle.

now back to Johnny K

it is normal to smell gasoline with a stg.3 kit.
              it is normal to see a little fuel cloud around the carburetor when the engine is running.

now you need to know that moving the air screw will NOT effect the running condition other than IDLE.

you are going to have to lower the slide needles a step to start to get the plugs to look like brown instead of black.

a shim has nothing to do with the exhaust pipe color. the exhaust temperature is the cause of that.

cold is fat(too much gas or none)

hot is lean, hot is what colors the pipes. get a temp gauge and 400 ~500 is in a good range 2" from the head at idle.
              cooler than 400 and your plugs will be black all the time.
              do not forget that the plugs need to get over 550 degrees to self clean!!!
              and that is when the brown or gray color begins at the electrode tip then spreads out to the rest of the plug end.

are your float heights all exactly the same? fuel level is a serious tuning detail.and is first on the list to getting a set of carbs to behave properly.
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
              X