Sissy bar mechanical drawings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sissy bar mechanical drawings

I need help with getting some replacement sissy bars on my two GS machines. I've been scouring ebay and anywhere else I can think of for about 18 months now and have come up empty, I've even posted here for anyone that has spares they might consider parting with but still no joy.

Now I'm at the point where I'm contemplating having some fabricated to be as close to original as possible. Everyone I talk to capable of making the sissy bars for me ask the same question - "do you have a mechanical drawing showing dimensions and mounting points?" Of course I don't.

So the question is does anyone here have anything that may be of use to specify that to the fabrication shop? My only other option is trying to measure the pertinent information from my machines and probably getting it wrong.

The machines in question are:
    1979 GS850GN
    1982 GS1100GL

Can anyone help or have other ideas?
    It's smoke that make electronic components work.
    Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
    '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
    '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
    '82 GS1000SZ
    '82 GS1100GL
    '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

I'm a machinist, and if someone came to me and wanted something like that made, I would want to do the measuring.

So I recommend just taking the bike to them. They can measure it, and if it doesn't fit it's their fault.

Comment

One other thought concerning measurements ...

what do they have to match up to?

I have a couple of K&G racks here, and have a sissy bar for one of them, but if you don't have a K&G rack, the measurements won't neccessarily do you any good.

Let me know if you have a K&G rack and I can get measurements for you. I can even draw up some crude, but effective, drawings and provide pictures.

Of course, the pictures would have to be 8x10 color glossy photographs, with the circles and arrows, and a paragraph on the back of each one, explaining what it is, and it can be used as evidence against you.

Last edited by Steve; 02-02-2009, 03:10 PM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        One other thought concerning measurements ...

what do they have to match up to?

I have a couple of K&G racks here, and have a sissy bar for one of them, but if you don't have a K&G rack, the measurements won't neccessarily do you any good.

Let me know if you have a K&G rack and I can get measurements for you. I can even draw up some crude, but effective, drawings and provide pictures.

Of course, the pictures would have to be 8x10 color glossy photographs, with the circles and arrows, and a paragraph on the back of each one, explaining what it is, and it can be used as evidence against you.

Hi Steve,

To match up...

The 850 has the mounting points in the seat, I assume one of the PO's took the sissy bar off for some reason or maybe it never had one. Worst case with this one, I figured I'd take the seat and as many decent pictures of other machines showing what I'm after to the shop and say something like "make one of those (pointing at pictures) to fit on here (pointing at seat)"

The 1100 is a little more tricky, it came with a back rest and rack on it but I'm not sure what make it is (the bike's at home and sadly I'm not) but even so doesn't match the contours of the original sissy bar. It does have the correct mounting dimensions though so I should be able to translate that to a spec. This one would be more difficult as the sissy bar mounts to the frame under the seat but follows the contour of the bottom of the seat toward the rear. I'd have to take the complete machine to have them look at the whole deal - which is doable of course.
        It's smoke that make electronic components work.
        Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
        '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
        '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
        '82 GS1000SZ
        '82 GS1100GL
        '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

The holes in the 850 seat are NOT for mounting anything besides the stock grab rail.

Look at some of the 850s in the Gallery (on the main page of this site) and you will see that little chrome rail. The seat is not all that secure to use as support, considering the additional leverage that the sissy bar would give you.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X