rocker cover leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rocker cover leak

was gonna buy a doner engine but it has quite a bad oil leak coming from rocker cover,how serious is it?

cheers

ady

We haven't seen the engine. You tell us.

(We need information: What sort of engine? Where's it leaking from? Does it run?)
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

It's terrible..forget about it...no way...

With no pics or at the least what bike you have it's impossible to answer.

Need much more info than you've offered. Where's the leak ? Is the cover damaged ? Etc.....
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

How long is a piece of string?

Comment

Thoroughly clean it up with degreaser and run it for a while and evaluate how the leak goes after that.

Comment

If the price is right ? Buy it !!!

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              Funny!
              Please don't take this the wrong way but with the info you offered how do you expect an answer?
              A valve cover gasket is an easy fix. An 8/10 on an easy scale. Especially with the motor pulled.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

Are you still referring to a GS500E like in your other threads?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well

Depends on how much you pull on it .

OK while we are waiting for details, I will add that with my recent bathing of oil coming back from Yosemite, I have started machining engine covers to insure they are flat. When I say machine, I mean I use a flat file and then check on a flat surface like machined granite table top (whoops don't tell the wife I'm in the kitchen again)

On the Yosemite trip I had a brand new Cometic gasket get squeezed out from between the head and valve cover, rip and spew oil for 600 miles. While the valve cover can flex some, There are local distortions that don't come out with clamping. You could have this machined on a broach, but a simple flat file (go buy a fine flat file) does the trick. Just keep it flat .

Pos

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    Depends on how much you pull on it .

OK while we are waiting for details, I will add that with my recent bathing of oil coming back from Yosemite, I have started machining engine covers to insure they are flat. When I say machine, I mean I use a flat file and then check on a flat surface like machined granite table top (whoops don't tell the wife I'm in the kitchen again)

On the Yosemite trip I had a brand new Cometic gasket get squeezed out from between the head and valve cover, rip and spew oil for 600 miles. While the valve cover can flex some, There are local distortions that don't come out with clamping. You could have this machined on a broach, but a simple flat file (go buy a fine flat file) does the trick. Just keep it flat .

Pos
                    If this works, great, just be aware that those counter tops can be out of flat by a fair amount.

Maybe you can pick up a cast iron lapping plate, like this one:

It'd work great for that kinda thing

Comment

Working...
                    X