Muffler bolt mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muffler bolt mystery

ok this may take the prize for lamest question ever, but I'm stumped.

I finally got my hands on a set of stock pipes for my 81 850g (i'd been using badly-fitting gs1000 pipes with ugly homemade mounting brackets using non-stock hardware), but I can't find bolts that fit the rear muffler mounting tabs to the frame. Yep, two lousy bolts!

From my best guess and from suzuki fiche i swear they're supposed to be 10mm, but every single 10mm bolt I can lay my hands on just jams after a quarter turn. I don't want to force it and hack the threads, 9mm's too small (tried that). I'm stuck sourcing bolts from bigbox home centre kinda place...

Is there something weird about the thread pitch? (i know enough to know there's such a thing as thread pitch... but my bolt kung-fu ends at that point)

Anyway, if you're still awake by this point, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

thanks all

Most 10mm bolts you'll find are 1.5mm pitch, as used on American and some Euro cars.

Asian vehicles, like Suzukis, generally use 1.25mm pitch on 10mm bolts.

AutoZone has bolts like this, and they're usually open late (JIS bolts also have 14mm heads instead of 17mm).

Other bolt resources:

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Rob,

Do you have anything like Ace Hardware up there?

An old fashioned hardware store with bins of nuts and bolts of every size?

That's where I go when I just need a couple of bolts - I can get cad plated, stainless, Allen head, etc
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Did you try measuring the threads with a pitch gauge?

Comment

Just looked at the part number, and I believe that would be a 10mm diameter, 1.25mm pitch, 30mm length bolt.

The ones at the hardware store will be SAE, and will likely have 17mm heads. This might work OK, but JIS bolts will have the proper 14mm heads.

IIRC, it's a flange bolt too. The only place I've ever found these is at AutoZone. I don't know what it's called up in Vancouver, but you'll need to hit up an auto parts store. If you don't have AutoZone, find a "real" parts store (the kind with grumpy old men who can find anything) or a junkyard. This sort of bolt is common on any Japanese or Korean vehicle.

http://boltdepot.com sells a very nice plastic bolt gauge.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I get most of my SS screws and bolts at an Ace hardware store in MA. Pricier than McMaster but much quicker. Sometimes i just can't wait!
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

My local Lowes carries 10mm bolts in 1.25 pitch.

Earl
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Go to Napa and get a exhaust bolt stud kit. 12.99 and includes the nuts. They have exactly the right length and thread for the GS.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Studs are better anyway, puts the wear and tear on the stud instead of in the threads in the head. Use anti-seize so they can come out again someday, bottom the studs lightly then back them out a half turn or so, when you tighten up the nut there will be no strain on the threads...
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

We've got a decent Canadian Tire in Cranbrook and they have a really good selection of metric hardware in separate bins and I've always found what I needed. Give them a try.

EDIT: I just came back from getting some household stuff at CT and checked their metric bins. They have 10x1.25 bolts in varying lengths and with both 17mm heads and 14mm heads. However,their allen bolts in those sizes are only stocked in 1.00 and 1.50 pitches.
                    Last edited by Sandy; 02-03-2009, 03:40 PM.
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

I would clean the holes out with a proper tap first. Then I would test the studs by driving them until all threads are in the head. Finally I would use blue locktite on the threads because you don't want them backing out. Blue is not permament and will help prevent seizing since it acts as an electrical insulator.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

wow, thanks everybody for all the great feedback. I'm off to find a real auto parts store run by real parts guys

rob

Comment

Working...
                        X